You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Simple Open Button on Welcome Screen

Just a simple VU and addition of an "Open" button.

Screenshot_1.png

Convenience is both the thing that pushes humanity forward and the thing leading us to doom.

Not me though. Y'all be easy.

Primary System: Arch Linux (dual-booted with Windoze for some paid apps that can't run on Linux yet)
Secondary System: Android Tablet

Apps: Krita | CSP | Blender | Inkscape | Affinity Suite | Quoll Writer | NovelWriter

There have already been requests to add an “Open Recent Document” section to the Welcome screen which would show a thumbnail image of the last few – number to be decided – documents, each of which could be clicked on to open it. A bit like a visual version of the “File → Open Recent” menu.
Would this suffice, or is there a reason why you don’t just want to open something recent from the Welcome screen?

2 hours ago, GarryP said:

Would this suffice, or is there a reason why you don’t just want to open something recent from the Welcome screen?

After all, Open and Open Recent are two completely different tasks. There is no reason why both should not be available from the Welcome screen.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

1 hour ago, GarryP said:

I was just wondering whether the OP had any specific need that I didn’t yet understand.

The OP may need to open a file that has not been worked on recently so will not be included in recent documents.

Changes are being made in the Mac Publisher Beta that when clicking the new document button on the welcome screen you are taken to a new panel, this has a button for recents (the number of recents is set in the OS)  which gives a thumbnail image view, there are also buttons for templates, presets & open. This might be slightly different when it is included in the Windows beta. I think that something similar could also end up in Photo & Designer to keep the feature parity between apps.

This might be an option for the OP, if not there is no reason that I can think of as to why this button can not be added.

Screen Shot 2019-12-24 at 14.31.45.png

I understand what the Open function does, I wanted to find out what the OP wanted to actually do, in their own words rather than other people saying what they thought the OP might be wanting.
Or, to put it another way, I am curious as to whether the Open Recent functionality – already requested by others – is enough for what they want or if they wanted more or something else.
Since they are – as far as I know – the only person asking for an Open button to be added I thought it would be good to check to see exactly what they were asking for.
(Personally I always have the Welcome screen OFF so this doesn’t, currently, affect me, but if it becomes more useful then I might start to use it.)

33 minutes ago, GarryP said:

(Personally I always have the Welcome screen OFF so this doesn’t, currently, affect me, but if it becomes more useful then I might start to use it.)

Same here :) I don't think that it will make much difference to the way you are working at the moment. Without the welcome screen if you select file new or use a keyboard shortcut the panel opens, all variations of opening or creating a new document will be in this panel, the welcome screen new document button opens the same panel. If you choose the file open or keyboard shortcut the finder/explorer window opens an open button would open the same window.

It's just a workflow choice, we are all different :)

7 hours ago, GarryP said:

Personally I always have the Welcome screen OFF

Yes, me too - because in its current form it is quite useless for me. But if there are the last open documents, and possibly Open and New, then there is no reason to turn it off.

And why Open? Because most files in Open Recent had to be opened (especially in APhoto) or newly created. So it is logical, that these buttons (Open, New) to be there in addition to Open Recent, so that the Welcome screen allows complete manipulation of Affinity documents.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

On 12/24/2019 at 4:32 AM, GarryP said:

There have already been requests to add an “Open Recent Document” section to the Welcome screen which would show a thumbnail image of the last few – number to be decided – documents, each of which could be clicked on to open it.

Hey guys. Seems I didn't have email notifications turned on.

As far as "Open Recent..." is concerned, I had thought about adding a button similar to what you described but I opted not to use anymore time mocking up an example of this because... well, I just didn't feel like doing it. :/

Convenience is both the thing that pushes humanity forward and the thing leading us to doom.

Not me though. Y'all be easy.

Primary System: Arch Linux (dual-booted with Windoze for some paid apps that can't run on Linux yet)
Secondary System: Android Tablet

Apps: Krita | CSP | Blender | Inkscape | Affinity Suite | Quoll Writer | NovelWriter