Pyanepsion

Designer: Inserting part of an image into an object

Good morning, everyone.

On a background image, for example an image from the series Victoria, I would like to add an image contained in a shape from another image, for example the head of the actress from the image from the series Doctor Who.

How to proceed? Thank you for your explanations.

victoria.png

docteur-who.jpg

coleman.afdesign

montage.jpg

2 cœurs Windows 10 pro   Affinity Desktop Publisher, Affinity Desktop Designer, Affinity Desktop Photo.

Mais je vous le demande, peut-on imaginer une police sans sérifs ?

Thank, Joachim_L.

:33_unamused: I actually can't do it, hence the question. Is it possible to show it to me on a video?

2 cœurs Windows 10 pro   Affinity Desktop Publisher, Affinity Desktop Designer, Affinity Desktop Photo.

3 minutes ago, Pyanepsion said:

Is it possible to show it to me on a video?

Unfortunately at work I am not allowed to do screen recordings. I could do this at home later or someone else can show you.

1 minute ago, PaulEC said:

The question refers to Publisher, so why not just use a circular Picture Frame?

The users file (.afdesign) and screenshot are from Designer, however I've just noticed that 'Publisher' is in the title, so this would certainly work as well!

I just changed the title to correct title. :)

@Dan C

Like Pyanepsion above, Place Image is behaving differently with this file compared to your video.

With you the placed image appears as soon as it is clipped into the elipse. But not here below. What simple step is missing?

1131489791_PlaceImageDrWhosmall.thumb.jpg.249df7c3cf4e52bb566462e0644917d3.jpg

Affinity Designer & Photo  :  Win 10

5 minutes ago, Roger C said:

With you the placed image appears as soon as it is clipped into the elipse. But not here below. What simple step is missing?

This is because the image has been clipped & masked to the ellipse, rather than just clipped - hence the 'crop' icon that is showing for this image layer in your screenshot.

@Pyanepsion You need to make sure you're drag and dropping the image layer underneath the ellipse layer (as shown in the screenshot below) as drag and dropping onto the layer thumbnail will clip & mask the image, which is not desired here.

image.png (Correct)

image.png (Incorrect)

You can read more about clipping here - https://affinityspotlight.com/article/understanding-clipping-in-affinity-apps/

The long horizontal line while dragging means it get's clipped
The short vertical line while dragging means a mask.
Clipping is done by dragging the image into the shape(long horizontal)line
Masking is done by dragging the shape into the image(short vertical)line.