You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer: Inserting part of an image into an object

Good morning, everyone.

On a background image, for example an image from the series Victoria, I would like to add an image contained in a shape from another image, for example the head of the actress from the image from the series Doctor Who.

How to proceed? Thank you for your explanations.

victoria.png

docteur-who.jpg

coleman.afdesign

montage.jpg

6 cœurs, 12 processus - Windows 11 pro - 4K - DirectX 12 - Suite universelle Affinity (Affinity  Publisher, Affinity Designer, Affinity Photo).

Mais je vous le demande, peut-on imaginer une police sans sérifs ?

Thank, Joachim_L.

:33_unamused: I actually can't do it, hence the question. Is it possible to show it to me on a video?

6 cœurs, 12 processus - Windows 11 pro - 4K - DirectX 12 - Suite universelle Affinity (Affinity  Publisher, Affinity Designer, Affinity Photo).

3 minutes ago, Pyanepsion said:

Is it possible to show it to me on a video?

Unfortunately at work I am not allowed to do screen recordings. I could do this at home later or someone else can show you.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

The question refers to Publisher, so why not just use a circular Picture Frame?

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

• Staff
1 minute ago, PaulEC said:

The question refers to Publisher, so why not just use a circular Picture Frame?

The users file (.afdesign) and screenshot are from Designer, however I've just noticed that 'Publisher' is in the title, so this would certainly work as well!

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

Sorry - I just read the title and missed looking at what was used in the screen shot!

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

Impeccable. Thank GarryP, and Dan C.

However, I have to put the image first outside and then inside.

colleman.png

I just changed the title to correct title. :)

• Staff
5 minutes ago, Roger C said:

With you the placed image appears as soon as it is clipped into the elipse. But not here below. What simple step is missing?

This is because the image has been clipped & masked to the ellipse, rather than just clipped - hence the 'crop' icon that is showing for this image layer in your screenshot.

@Pyanepsion You need to make sure you're drag and dropping the image layer underneath the ellipse layer (as shown in the screenshot below) as drag and dropping onto the layer thumbnail will clip & mask the image, which is not desired here.

image.png (Correct)

image.png (Incorrect)

You can read more about clipping here - https://affinityspotlight.com/article/understanding-clipping-in-affinity-apps/

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

To make the placement a bit easier: Select the ellipse, tick "Insert inside the selection" (top toolbar or if not visible customize the toolbar) and place the image there.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed