You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Bug: slowdown of UI if the trailing text is not cut off.

I noticed a severe drop in performance when the last page of my text document did not have a "crossed red eye", resulting in text running off the bottom of the page.

Once I clicked on the red eye icon to "cross it out", the performance drop decreased, allowing me to resume work. With the eye icon uncrossed, the document became unresponsive: after every text edit, the program would hang for 15-30 seconds.

What had happened to arrive in this state was my copying pages and relinking them in order to expand the document with a single text field. Every time I copied a page, it would copy all the text from the master page, and when I relinked them, instead of removing duplicated text, it would add the whole book to the end of the text stream, resulting in 20 or copies of the book in the same text stream, trailing off the last page. 

My expectations for relinking pages would be that the text would not be copied.

Needless to say, cleaning up 20 copies of the book from the last page of the document, one page at a time, with 30 second pauses after each delete is a very special personal hell :)

Correction: the copy-relink process appears to be multiplicative. Since I added about 10 pages to my document, I now have... maybe over 100 copies of the book trailing off the last page? No idea how to fix that other than start over OR sweep it under the rug with blank spaces.

My workaround was to save a copy, Ctrl-A to select all, delete whole thing, then paste one copy of the text from the backup. Deleting one page at a time was far too slow.

Make a new document with one Master page having linked Text Frames on the left to right pages and apply that to the single page in the pages window.

View the single page in the pages pane and using the Text tool click in the text frame and paste  in your text. Move to the red eye and Shift + Click on it. The application should then create all the pages with linked Text Frames containing your text. You could also just Place the text document into that first (single and only) Page instead of pasting.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

21 minutes ago, Roxfall said:

What had happened to arrive in this state was my copying pages and relinking them in order to expand the document with a single text field. Every time I copied a page,

How did you copy your pages?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

16 minutes ago, Roxfall said:

In the left panel, select page, right click, Duplicate.

Thanks.

In my experience, if I duplicate a page that contains a text frame, and the frame contains text, only the text on that page is duplicated, even if the frame is linked to another page that has text.

But I'm a bit confused because you seem to have said that the text comes from your master page. Normally one would not have text in linked text frames on a master page. The master page would have an empty text frame, and the text would go on a document page. So I'm not sure I understand exactly what you did, and exactly how it led to the situation you ended up in.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

2 hours ago, Roxfall said:

In the left panel, select page, right click, Duplicate.

Try this, test.afpub Text not include, instructions included. Real minimal. 

Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have my text of the book in the master page.

If I duplicate any of the regular pages to add another single page, the whole text of the book gets duplicated. When you do this multiple times it leads to 2>4>8>16>32 etc copies of the text of the book back to back.

12 hours ago, Roxfall said:

I have my text of the book in the master page.

That's not where it should be. The master page should have an empty text frame. You should put your text into the text frame on the first document page.

What you are seeing with the duplication is easily explained, because with the text in the text frame on the master page, it is all on that page. And it is thus all on your document page. And when you duplicate that document page, it's all on the second page, too. But now you have two complete copies (one on page 1, one on page 2).

If you then duplicate pages 1 and 2, you will have 4 copies (one copy each on pages 1 through 4). If you duplicate pages 1 through 4, you then have 8 copies.

You need to take the text off the master page, and leave that text frame empty. Then:

1. Delete all the document pages
  2. Select the text on the master page (click in the frame and Ctrl+A), and cut it (Ctrl+X).
  3. Add a new document page, based on the master.
  4. Paste the text into the frame on that page (Ctrl+V) and then Shift+Click on the triangle as Old Bruce showed in his example file. Publisher will create all the needed pages to hold the text.

-- Walt
PC:

27 minutes ago, Roxfall said:

If it's not supposed to go on the master page, why can I add text to the master page?

A Blank text frame on a Master Page will appear on every Page in your document which has that Master Page applied to it. A text frame with text in it will also appear on every page, with that text. eg "Bob's Big Book". Then you select the blank text frame on a Regular Page and paste your text (the words that make up the two hundred pages which is Bob's Big Book) in there.

Anything on a Master Page will be on all pages which have that Master Page applied. Text, empty frames (for text or pictures), drawings or coloured doodles, etc.

1 hour ago, Roxfall said:

If it's not supposed to go on the master page, why can I add text to the master page?

Because you might want some (usually short) static text on all the document pages; a header or a footer, or a page number, etc.

The real document text goes on document pages.

-- Walt
PC: