You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Pen tool as a precise selection

This is the way I did. it I wished to add some stars and heart shapes to a selected head mannequin. Well. I chosed o used vectorial shapes of the left bar tools. They then, get on top of the head. You get then different layers on top of the original shape. In your case you may have just a round shape. Then I made them a child of he shape laye and rasterized them, so that any shape, in your case a round vectorial shape can be turned into a pixel selection with the classical marching ants on it, Well....once you have your shape with the pixel shape on it, you have o click into the oriiginal shape land this will keep the selection on it...you then, using the eraser brush, just take away the contain that is inside the sound selection This will leave a hole or a shaped hole on it, Beware that the selection is on the shape and not on the outside.

I hope to have helped a bitI guess you may do it in other different way. I have used this and it worked Once you have the shaped holes, you can delete the other layers ha contained the rasterized shapes.

Greetingd from Bilbao Sp.ain.

Rosa

• Staff

Hi evtonic3,

There's a couple ways to go about this:

- you can create both paths with the Pen Tool, perform a subtract boolean operation (menu Layer ▹ Geometry ▹ Subtract) to create the hole, and convert the result to a Selection.

- Or you can perform boolean operations between Spare Channels (saved selections) and the active selection. Here's a description of this process:
If you already created one of them and converted it to a selection, go to Select ▹ Save Selection ▹ As a spare channel to save it (you can find it in the Channels panel on the bottom labelled Spare Channel). Then create a new path or selection for the hole, and again go to Select ▹ Save Selection ▹ As a spare channel to save it. You now have two selections saved as Spare Channels. Now right-click on the bigger one in the Channels panel and select Load to Pixel Selection to make it the active selection, then right-click on the "hole" Spare Channel in the Channels panel and select Subtract From Pixel Selection from the context menu, to delete it from the active selection you load in the previous step.

mmmm...seems so perfect. I think the way I told you is somehow ackward.I did not know you could do this kind geometry actions......with pixel selected layers....I have to try and see....is not my thread but is really interesting, Thanks to all of you,

Rosa