You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

5 hours ago, Roger terry said:

...for example, to program a key to flatten a picture even if no standard key combination is available?

If there is no assignable reusable Affinity command available for third party software tools to hook on, things can get difficult here. Thus it highly depends on how a programmable keyboards software works here, meaning if it offers functionality like some screen macro recorder solutions do, by also capturing screen related mouse positions & clicks, or certain softwares menu selections & enter presses etc. and then allow to assign those recordings to a key for later playback, or not.

For the above mentioned Renkforce DKS-100 keyboard there is sort of a PDF shortmanual in de/en/fr/nl ...

... which you can inspect and look through.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

Thanks, this looks interesting but seems not so good for a Mac and the installed shortcuts are Adobe focused. Actually I think that Affinity should get onboard with this. But I will give it a try if you can tell me where to download the software, I don't seem to be able to find it.

Don't know if their software is officially seperately downloadable, you probably have to contact or identify the hardware manufactor. A Google net search will give you just somehow questionable resource links, like this one.

• 1 year later...

If you do end up buying a StreamDeck, don't rush to spend more money on packs like these without trying to roll your own shortcuts first.  At least try some small sets of your own first.

I've just taken a look at the latest installer from their downloads page and I don't see any indication of Big Sur being supported yet, never mind native Apple Silicon support.  (Having said that, they don't warn us not to install it.)  I have one that was installed on my old machine but I never bothered installing it on my M1 mini yet.  I may give it a shot this week, or I may wait…

Ah - here we are: M1 device compatible using Rosetta 2 (for now).  Maybe the next update will bring full compatibility.

Edited by GaryLearnTech
Extended original comment.

—— Gary ——

Photo/Designer/Publisher: Affinity Store, v2.4.n release

Mac mini (M1, 2020), 16GB/2TB, macOS Ventura 13.4.1(c) • MacBook Pro (Intel), macOS Ventura • Windows 10 via VMware Fusion • iOS: current release

35 minutes ago, Graphix_Guy82 said:

I have a Mac also and I was thinking about getting this

Alternatively, you could plug in any random cheap old USB keyboard and use karabiner-elements.pqrs.org to modify its output. I think this can be done via Karabiner's "Complex Modifications". As the name says, it's a rather complex setup though. You may want to look at some examples from ke-complex-modifications.pqrs.org and then modify the *.json files to your liking: on the web page click on the arrow next to the blue "Import" button and select "Edit JSON (Open external site)".

Another alternative would be an iPhone/iPad remote control app that can send MIDI commands to a Mac, and on the Mac a MIDI "receiver" that can translate MIDI CC messages to keyboard shortcuts by some means, either directly or via AppleScript (MidiPipe can, I think Keyboard Maestro as well). Something very modular like hexler.net/products/touchosc could work, but I've never used it yet. (However, I'm using some line6.com/helix products, and there I can directly assign Mac keyboard shortcuts to footswitches, for example to start and stop recording in my audio workstation app while the Helix device is connected to Mac via USB, and this is based on MIDI. So I know that the "MIDI-to-keyboard-shortcut" concept works.)

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

I have been using StreamDeck with Affinity Designer and Photo and will eventually get Publisher in on the fun too. To me the only way to go with the StreamDeck is to go big if you will, make it personal, develop your own shortcuts, icons, etc, don't rely on others to come up with a solution because it will always come up short in the end.

On the Mac, I went into the package contents of Designer and copied the icons that the app uses, then created these rounded squares with said icons and text and use these in SteamDeck. I have the XL version, the one with 32 buttons. You are not limited to just 32 buttons, as you can make a folder that when clicked will take you to another screen with 32 buttons. I have 10 screens set up this way, and there is overlap, some tools and commands will repeat and I have color coded some tools, commands and try and position some of these so that they stay consistent, to help with the muscle memory, etc. Anyway, here is a screenshot of me setting up the shortcuts/icons in Designer:

Streamdeck.thumb.png.0cf7608b323bf6ec2debc8cdcdf3e110.png

It goes by pretty fast once you get the hang of it. StreamDeck allows you to save the shortcuts you set up, export, import, etc. for each app. I am finding that it is important to not think too much at first when setting this up, just get something done and then do iterations of it as you learn what works or doesn't in actual use.

I got the StreamDeck XL because I am lazy and don't really want to learn/remember shortcuts for half a dozen apps or more. I also don't feel like contorting my fingers to reach multiple keys on a regular keyboard either. 

Here is a quick photo, a closeup of the buttons on the StreamDeck.

SDXL.thumb.jpg.b25492c0f417cebb234f85d437c4a705.jpg

@Scungio Thanks - those coloured backgrounds that you're using are what has just inspired me to have another go and have just installed the driver - and found a spare port and plugged the Deck itself back in.  Let's see what tomorrow brings…  :) 

—— Gary ——

Photo/Designer/Publisher: Affinity Store, v2.4.n release

Mac mini (M1, 2020), 16GB/2TB, macOS Ventura 13.4.1(c) • MacBook Pro (Intel), macOS Ventura • Windows 10 via VMware Fusion • iOS: current release

I am just beginning to explore the macros you can set up in StreamDeck too. For example, in that one button I have called Flatten, which is next to the Pencil/Vector Brush button, that was my solution to create a workaround for a Blob Brush. I use the Vector Brush to quickly fill in shapes/areas and then I select all of those curves and hit the Flatten button. That is a macro that performs an Expand Stroke, then a Boolean Add and then chooses the Node Tool. With the Node Tool I then will use Smooth command on it and then will further delete points here and there.

What is cool about getting into the StreamDeck realm is that you can choose to go with their Stream Deck Mobile. You can use your phone or if you have an extra phone, or a tablet, iOS or Android, it allows you to use that device in place of a physical StreamDeck product. It is limited to 15 buttons and you have to pay a monthly/yearly sub, $3 a month, or $25 a year. This is the route I went originally, tried the trial and then set up an 8 inch Android tablet I had lying around. Loved the experience but as I said earlier, either go big or go home, I wondered what 32 buttons would be like. So, I managed to get a good deal on the StreamDeck XL and it is one of the best purchases I ever made. That StreamDeck Mobile option though is a very good deal and ends up being one tenth the price of the XL, and how many of us have a drawer filled with old phones, tablets, etc?

• 1 month later...