You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to crop an image on a selected layer - Affinity Photo?

• Staff

Hi cseeman,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Currently Affinity Photo crop is document based as you discovered.

To "crop" an image in a specific layer, create a selection around the area you need to crop, press ⇧ (shift) + ⌘ (cmd) + I (to invert the selection - you can also go to menu Select ▹ Invert Pixel Selection) and hit delete on your keyboard.

If you need to adjust the selection before cropping, press Q to enter in Quick Mask mode, change to the Move Tool and transform the selection on canvas using the bounding box controls. Press Q again to quit Quick Mask mode.

I believe we will improve this later to enable object/layer based crops too.

Currently I think the key problem with Selection/Deletion with Object/Layer is that it's destructive. Of course things that are masked can be revealed again by removing the masks though.

I'd like to see two features in that regard (time to suggest them in the Feature Request forum):

• There should be a Non Destructive Crop

• It should have handles/points  (much as the crop tool does). That can work for both "straight lines" or on bezier and b-spline curves.
* Ideally it should have x, y point readout which might help in some cases.

• Staff

If you want to keep the data intact, you can use a mask or a clipping object instead.

Affinity Designer already uses an object/layer non-destructive Crop tool.

When i said that this will be improved later i meant that we will eventually port Affinity Designer's way back to Affinity Photo.

• 2 years later...
  • Staff

Hi pkeew,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
If you want to invert the selection and delete it, yes you need to rasterise the layer first. Image layers are considered object layers - they can't be edited at a pixel level, however they can be transformed (scaled, rotated etc) without losing losing quality since they retail all original image data. To convert an Image layer type to a Pixel layer type right-click the image layer in the Layers panel and select Rasterise.

Thanks for including those details.

BTW what I do these days is use the shape tool (rectangle, etc) and draw an object (usually a rectangle but it depends...) and use it as a mask by adding it to the layer I want to crop. It's non destructive that way.

54 minutes ago, MEB said:

That's what i suggested in post #4.

I think he means "clipping", rather than "masking" ?

As described it the Affinity video "Clipping vs Masking".

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

• 2 years later...

My workaround was to open up the object of the crop as a separate page in AP, crop it there, save as a new document and paste onto the background image. Seemed to work OK. Saved the entire thing in the save resolution as the original logo (300dpi). Then exported as a lower rez and size for web (800x600p@72dpi). Probably have some trimming and further adjustment to do. But you get the idea. Needed to size for 4x3 aspect. 4:3, not 4:1

Techworks Pro_800x600p.png

techworks pro_v3.png

techworkspro_v4_300x80.gif.1b0b1c7df511aeb341fc0dbba972a9bf.gif

MBP 2017, MacOS Mojave 10.14.6, Affinity Photo, Affinity Designer, (Trial) Publisher

iPad Pro, iOS 12, Affinity Photo, Designer

https://techworkspro.com 

On 7/12/2015 at 6:12 PM, MEB said:

To "crop" an image in a specific layer, create a selection around the area you need to crop, press ⇧ (shift) + ⌘ (cmd) + I (to invert the selection - you can also go to menu Select ▹ Invert Pixel Selection) and hit delete on your keyboard.

there's no delete on my keyboard

if i press backspace it deletes everything inside the selection although it is inverted (deletes indside the original selection)

what exactly do you mean by "hit delete on your keyboard"?

im on mac

23 minutes ago, duch_suva said:

Of ipress backspace it deletes everything inside the selection although it is inverted (deletes indside the original selection)

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

Make sure you're working on a layer that shows as (Pixel) in the Layers panel, not (Image). If it's an Image layer you'll need to Rasterize it before you can perform pixel operations on it.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
4 hours ago, Catshill said:

Only with APh though. ADe and APu crop layers.

And in those applications, users ask how they can crop the document, like they can in Photo.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 1 year later...