You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Best method for removing green pet eye in AP 1.7+

I'm looking for the most simple, repeatable method to remove green 'pet eye' from photos in AP 1.7/1.8.   Searched older threads discussing how to remove green 'pet eye' in AP, but did not find a method that takes account of the latest tools in AP.   

Here's an example:

casey.jpg

I would use the selection brush on the green and then make a new layer fill it with a very dark grey and do a colour burn (so as to retain the reflections) for the pixel layer of the eyes overtop of the dog.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

As mentionned above, just a selction of the green part and then paint black over it on a new layer. Then add the catchlight on another layer that you can be dimmed and blurred as needed.

The red eye removal tool works but not very well on this type of picture.

Here is what I got in less than 30 seconds.

green-eyes.jpg

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

I used the Selection Brush and clicked once in the middle of each eye to select the irises. With the selection active, I added (i) a Black and White adjustment, in which I darkened the green component; and (ii) a Levels adjustment, in which I raised the Gamma. Here's the result. Also, a very quick fix...

1902660236_WontYouTurnMyGreenEyesGrey.thumb.jpg.e172d2f09f5779c3b434525a04e8f3d7.jpg

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

• 1 month later...

So thanks for the replies!  I finally got back to this, my own result is attached.  The best, simplest guide I've found to doing this anywhere appeared recently online, and works perfectly in Affinity, here:

How to Fix Pet Eye in Your Photos
https://www.lifewire.com/photoshop-fix-pet-eye-1702736

Short version of directions:

1. Zoom in, create a layer, use a moderately soft brush (I used about 70%) with black foreground to paint a circle just larger than the problem area. Then, hide this layer. 

2. Make a new layer.  Set the color foreground to white, use a smaller hard brush (I used 100%) and paint the "glint" in the pupils.  

3. Unhide the hidden layer, flatten the 3 layers and save. 

Note:  I had an additional, optional step after (2).  I had some blotchy, miscolored spots in the dog's eye that weren't addressed by the above steps to fix the pupils.  So, I used the color picker eyedropper tool, matched the surrounding color area that was 'normal', and used that to paint over the bad areas in the eye outside the pupil.  

casey.jpg

17 minutes ago, timlt said:

Was kitty eyes that glow like lasers supposed to help me with solving pet eye in Affinity somehow?

Not really no - it was ghost cat trying to freak out the pooch. 🐈 

(But to get vaguely back on topic, it was done using Affinity Photo and a Recolour adjustment. It's non-destructive so I can go back to original - though sadly deceased - cat if I need to. The colour change is a screen recording of me scrubbing the Hue slider up and down.)

1459180304_Screenshot2020-02-05at09_35_04.png.0d83020ffb971997f384cae7af279048.png

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

Ah, cool.  That's something I haven't tried.  How do you first select the eyes so that it will apply color change just to those areas?  

ETA:  never mind, I figured it out.  Used the elliptical section tool to select eyes, then the recolor adjustment layer as you said.  

Sorry, been putting up a new shed...

You can also use the Selection Brush Tool to select areas of similar colours - may give you a more precise outline than an ellipse.

Cheers,

H

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.