You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Text Tool Causing Affinity To Quit

BeauL

Hey, 

So I have been getting a bug over the last few days that keeps happening. It is happening very very frequently. The common theme is the text tool. 

When I group some items that include text, when I duplicate text or when I just use the text tool directly Affinity will close down automatically. 

Anyone got any help or also having this problem?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @Gabe

1. Yes I am using latest version

2. I am not sure what reproducing it means? 

3. It happens on all documents, new and existing ones I have reopened. 

4. Screen recording of the issue is here - I am duplicating the text in this example which causes whole program to close. It also can happen when grouping text, selecting text, typing text, aligning text etc. It happens with all fonts as well. https://imgur.com/a/poI5jqG

Using mac os Catalina on a macbook pro. No unusual hardware. 

1 hour ago, BeauL said:

I am not sure what reproducing it means? 

Your answer in 3 means it is reproducible.  I have had many crashes which don't reoccur. Those are just frustrating but not something which can be tracked down and fixed. One program I have has some intermittent  problems with a piece of audio hardware which is 10  20 years old, there is no way I can get it to crash on purpose, it just happens once a week/month.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• Staff

Sure. I moved it for you :)

Did you purchase the app from the Mac App Store or the Affinity Store?

If you purchased from the Mac App Store could you try these steps please:

Go to Macintosh HD\Users\username\Library\Containers\
rename the 'com.seriflabs.affinitydesigner' folder to 'com.seriflabs.affinitydesigner.old'
Start Designer
This will have reset all of your settings so please note all of your assets, brushes, etc will not be there. Currently these are stored in the renamed folder so we can look at getting them back if this works for you. If Designer does load up, could you zip up and attach a copy of the 'com.seriflabs.affinitydesigner.old' folder please?

Instead if you purchased from the Affinity Store could you try these steps please:

Go to Macintosh HD\Users\username\Library\Application Support\
rename the 'Affinity Designer' folder to 'Affinity Designer Old'
Start Designer
This will have reset all of your settings so please note all of your assets, brushes, etc will not be there. Currently these are stored in the renamed folder so we can look at getting them back if this works for you. If Designer does load up, could you zip up and attach a copy of the 'Affinity Designer Old' folder please?

• 2 weeks later...

It is still happening quite frequently. 

I am not sure if I did the renaming thing correctly but I have attached the copy of affinity designer old here. 

Is there a way that I can download it from the app store instead and try use that version? I noticed someone was reporting a similar bug here. Instead my whole application closes instead of crashing though.