You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[1.8.0.526] Documents/presets are now per default on Wide Gamut instead of sRGB

I initially started this post with the below about weird colors in the color palette on the Color Chooser dialogs. But looking further I see now that the document color space in the beta is set to 'Wide Gamut' instead of sRGB. Not sure why that is, but it's causing color problems as most people don't use Wide Gamut screens to view their work and a lot of people are working for the web, which normally only shows sRGB anyway. People using a bigger/different color space for their work will switch the space to their needs anyway.

So I'm sure setting the document colorspace to Wide Gamut is not intentional. Looks like the wrong index is set in the Color Profile dropdownbox in the document settings.
(BTW the Working profile settings in preferences are still on sRGB)

image.png.ca1169d66257d66fb3e11ccab599d181.png

My guess is there is an offset problem with the dropdown-index (zero vs one-based?) or a new space is added without changing the default index or something?, as the sRGB itemindex is 1 higher then Wide Gamut:
index.jpg.6a2c67d5694aeed7736ba6591f9e95cf.jpg

----

Below was my initial post. I leave it just to indicate confusion I believe more people would/could have with a default to Wide Gamut:

When using the color chooser the colors in the color field seem to be off and are different to the current stable version. Looks like they are clipping or something or using the wrong curves or something. 

This is for example the Hue field as it is now in this beta. As you can see the transitions are pretty harsh and even show artifacts:

color-chooser-hue-now.jpg.7ceae48699a80215e19b14ef2defed1b.jpg

This is the same field in the current stable version. So as you can see it looked way better and right in the current stable version and didn't show any artifacts:

color-chooser-hue-before.jpg.57b802452affb1ab03b934919da90435.jpg

Looks like the same goes with all color modelfields, like rgb. This is the rgb field on the current beta and you can see it's the same problem again: artifacts and looks oversaturated and clipped (shows transitionlines):

color-chooser-rgb-now.jpg.50c6ea475e96653d4a4be11cccb1345a.jpg

While the current stable Designer version shows this as expected and the right way:

color-chooser-rgb-before.jpg.cebbfdf96bf07f9ec0c0fbc9250853a0.jpg

6 minutes ago, Rondem said:

Like you noticed it depends on what color profile you select.

If you pick sRGB its normal.

Yes, I know that. But as I wrote above it shouldn't be on Wide Gamut per default in my humble opinion, but on sRGB. I believe setting this to Wide Gamut in default document profiles is not as intended and not desired behaviour for most people and is causing confusion and problems, so something to be mentioned to devs for this beta.

My system still defaults to RGB/8 and sRGB color profile (which is set as my default RGB/8 profile in the Preferences, Color panel).

Have you checked your Preferences, @Friksel? Perhaps something has gone awry there.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

One other thing, @Friksel: The color space and profile would come from your page preset. Have you checked to see how you have "FHD 1080p (1920x1080; 16:9)" defined? Maybe it's an issue with your preset, or an issue specific to interpreting something in user-defined presets.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

15 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

One other thing, @Friksel: The color space and profile would come from your page preset. Have you checked to see how you have "FHD 1080p (1920x1080; 16:9)" defined? Maybe it's an issue with your preset, or an issue specific to interpreting something in user-defined presets.

Yes I did. It's wrong in the preset.

To indicate this further; these are my color preferences in the beta (nowhere it says Wide Gamut):

color-preferences.jpg.546de7a0ae7c810320ce12b33b41ef25.jpg

And this is showing when creating a new document by preset (all presets show Wide Gamut and I never ever switched to WIde Gamut myself):

Just now, Friksel said:

Yes I did. It's wrong in the preset

Good. So it's not that "documents now get Wide Gamut by default (which is a major issue). It's one specific preset you have that now gives Wide Gamut (which may affect fewer users, depending on what the issue is).

Serif will probably want to look at one of your files: %appdata%\affinity\designer\1.0 (beta)\user\doc_spread_presets.propcol to see if something has gone wrong with it. (Once they're back from Holiday, of course.)

-- Walt
PC:

2 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Good. So it's not that "documents now get Wide Gamut by default (which is a major issue). It's one specific preset you have that now gives Wide Gamut (which may affect fewer users, depending on what the issue is).

Serif will probably want to look at one of your files: %appdata%\affinity\designer\1.0 (beta)\user\doc_spread_presets.propcol to see if something has gone wrong with it. (Once they're back from Holiday, of course.)

No, that's not the right conclusion. Please read my posts again and watch the video

14 minutes ago, Friksel said:

No, that's not the right conclusion. Please read my posts again and watch the video

Sorry; missed that post and video.

All I can say is, again, that that does not happen to me. So something is messed up on your installation.

-- Walt
PC:

I checked the same preset and mine has the "FHD 1080p" profile set to default as sRGB. I don't even have a "Wide Gamut" profile in the color profile list, but I do see my current monitor profiles. Is HDR or 10-bit/etc enabled on your system? One of my displays is set at 10-bit (but not HDR). I'm not sure why else the "Wide Gamut" option would be coming up for you as a default. That is odd.

The other thing I noticed is it is defaulting to 8-bit in your screen and from what I understand, wide-gamut is typically 10-bit or anything above 8. My system has just had everything reinstalled a couple of day sago, so my installs are all fresh.

Is it possible your preset list were "corrupted" somehow from past updates. I doubt it, but anyway, I couldn't suggest any other cause which is why I asked if your system was set to Wide Gamut. Maybe there is something the program does differently if it is enabled... I don't know.

This is my preset and color profile list:

wide-gamut.thumb.png.3b1950ecb64204a3dfa0f02e35dcf5e5.png

Guys, I appreciate your enthousiasm and it's great to see on your systems it's working and it's probably valuable information for devs to know this issue doesn't occur on all systems out there, but I mentioned this thing in the BETA forum.

This is BETA testing, I bumped into an odd issue that shouldn't be there and posted this on the beta-forum. I am not trying to find a workaround (like I would when using the stable version for real work), I am mentioning this issue here so devs know about it and can fix this.

And that's why I mentioned that you'll need to provide your propcols file to them, so they can investigate it. If you attach it here, it will be waiting for them when they return in January.

-- Walt
PC:

The other thing you can do to perhaps fix your beta installation. Rename your existing %appdata%\affinity\designer\1.0 (beta)\user directory to something else, such as %appdata%\affinity\designer\1.0 (beta)\userX.

Then do a Ctrl reset of Designer Beta and see if the problem is fixed. Or perhaps try Preferences, Miscellaneous and Reset User Defaults.

The copy you've made will allow Serif to ask for other files if there's some need for them, and it will also allow you to restore brushes and other customized items that the reset will clear, by copying the appropriate files from the backup to the new user directory.

-- Walt
PC:

8 hours ago, Friksel said:

Guys, I appreciate your enthousiasm and it's great to see on your systems it's working and it's probably valuable information for devs to know this issue doesn't occur on all systems out there, but I mentioned this thing in the BETA forum.

This is BETA testing, I bumped into an odd issue that shouldn't be there and posted this on the beta-forum. I am not trying to find a workaround (like I would when using the stable version for real work), I am mentioning this issue here so devs know about it and can fix this. 

Lose the attitude.

It isn't generally expected a workaround would be found. We asked about your system so that additional information could be given so that it can be fixed by developers. If you don't expect a response, then don't post in a BETA forum. No enthusiasm intended.

7 minutes ago, Mark Ingram said:

If you zip up your %APPDATA%\Affinity\Designer\1.0 folder, then we can look at what's causing the issue. 

Or perhaps %APPDATA%\Affinity\Designer\1.0 (Beta) ?

-- Walt
PC:

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.