You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[1.8.0.526] Installing beta causes Windows to restart without any notice

I just tried to install the latest beta (1.8.0.526) to tryout the hopefully fixed outline stroke, but without any notice or messagebox of whatever the installer causes Windows to crash and restart during the installation out of the blue. That can't be meant to be like that.

Running healthy Windows 10 home with all important updates installed.

For the record: this was no Windows update restarting the system.

[edit] the program did install though and seems to work so far

Sometimes there is a very brief message shown to the effect that the installation needs to update some system component (some COM component?). At that point, Windows automatically does a hard reset and restarts when the installer is finished.

It's happened to me twice in the past.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

12 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Sometimes there is a very brief message shown to the effect that the installation needs to update some system component (some COM component?). At that point, Windows automatically does a hard reset and restarts when the installer is finished.

It's happened to me twice in the past.

@walt.farrell Thanks for your response. Yes, that's exactly what I've saw. I got a dialog asking me to close 'COM'. I didn't know what application 'COM' was, so I closed the currently open Affinity Designer (non beta), because that was the only logic thing to me to be closed. When I clicked the dialog button the computer started to restart. But there was no message at all to indicate that that was going to happen. I was glad I didn't have any project open in other software at that moment!

If it is really meant to restart the computer, I would at least expect some confirmation box with that info showing up so we know it's going to restart, so we can save our work on other programs or maybe restart later. Still I wonder if this restart is really nececary and on purpose.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.