You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Overprint did not work

mschwerer

Please post your file here, so others can have a look. At a first glance, overprint should work, based on your export settings.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

The "logo" does seem to be fairly simple, so I would doubt that rasterising Unsupported Properties lead to the shown result.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

50 minutes ago, Pauls said:

I find the text as curves seems to be causing the text to get knocked out

I find the object as linked causes the knock-out. Whereas the same curved text object as copied/pasted from this linked .afdesign within APub does overprint in a PDF/X-4:

1996164122_overprintanot-linked.thumb.jpg.4e0cbb679d6d4ca80eb34aadf29585e4.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

I simply do not understand, why Schwarz Overprint is a spot colour? In AD it is not defined as such. If I edit it in APu it is suddenly a spot colour. ???

After several tests ... spot colours are not overprinting in X-4, so I would call it indeed a bug.

------

• Staff

We've come across this before I think the preview may be not telling us the whole truth - here's a response from teh resident expert :-

"

Use Output Preview in Acrobat, and make sure the Simulation profile is correct. If you preview Separations, then it will show without overprint. However, if you switch Preview to Colour warnings and check Show overprinting, then Acrobat does highlight the correct areas as overprinted. If you switch Preview to Object inspector, and click on an area intended to be overprinted, it will list all the colours at that point and the overprinted colour will say "Overprint=true". You will also see that the overprinted colour has a profile.

If you then re-export the same document with Export profiles unchecked, the Object inspector shows the overprinted colour space as Default CMYK with no profile. The Separations preview will show the overprinting as expected.

If you export with a PDF/X preset, then the PDF gets a colour intent which has a profile. Colour shapes get exported as Default CMYK, which uses the document intent, so they don't get their own colour profile so Acrobat Separations preview shows the overprint. This explains why PDF/X can behave differently to other PDF presets.

"

We have an issue logged to hopefully improve the situation regarding the separation preview

1 hour ago, Joachim_L said:

why Schwarz Overprint is a spot colour? In AD it is not defined as such. 

Good point – and quite disturbing. Related to this I noticed that the copied object also gets this overprinting spot color (< colors panel) but without a swatch in swatches panel. That confuses me because in APub I have no way to generate a overprinting color without defining a global swatch (which additionally demands a document palette).

1307061423_globaloverpintspotwithoutswatch.jpg.ff587cab3d9716037f28ce5c9e5585c7.jpg

Also confusing is the color icon at the opacity slider: it shows as 0 % opacity the color of a previously selected object. (here: the background picture frame)

1 hour ago, Joachim_L said:

spot colours are not overprinting in X-4

Sure? Compare my screenshot some posts above = this X-4 pdf:   Test_ot.pdf

11 minutes ago, Pauls said:

If you preview Separations, then it will show without overprint. However, if you switch Preview to Colour warnings and check Show overprinting, then Acrobat does highlight the correct areas as overprinted.

Do you mean this topics issue is just a matter of Acrobat Separations inspector settings? If yes, how comes that the linked .afdesign does NOT overprint whereas the same item as pasted, not linked, does overprint within the same PDF/X-4?

1048421434_overprintpdfinspect1.jpg.7232823a2c65180ba59f9f12287528c5.jpg

740146767_overprintpdfinspect2.jpg.4cd34b92281fc2e4e48f0bf64c40fab9.jpg