You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello,

when I draw a line with as a stroke, I cannot cut the shape! 

As it can be seen in the video,  I would want to cut the right-hand shape, like the shape on the left side but I cannot cut the shape with strokes ?

I found another solution digging deep and I realized that I have "expand" the stroke then I would be able to execute the operation. However, with regular stroke, I would not be able to cut the shape?

• Staff

Hi Boroji,
You can't perform boolean operations between shapes and lines/segments (strokes) in Designer (open shapes will be closed for the boolean operation connecting their start and end points). One way to get a clean cut without expanding the stroke (so zero width/no gaps) is to draw a rectangle or shape (with the Pen Tool for more complex cuts) with one of the edges overlapping the other shape(s) where you want to cut it (them). Then select both the rectangle and the original shape and perform a Divide or Intersect boolean operation (if you select Intersect you don't have to delete the extraneous shape after the boolean operation). Delete the remaining/extra part of the rectangle that you are not interested in. See clip attached below (for the Divide Operation).

cut_shape.gif

9 minutes ago, Boroji said:

I found another solution digging deep and I realized that I have "expand" the stroke then I would be able to execute the operation. However, with regular stroke, I would not be able to cut the shape?

For a line stroke and then expanded stroke on that one, If you switch over to the node tool for both cases, you will visually see where the difference is (see the amount of indicated nodes). With the later (as an expanded stroke) it is handled as a closed path and the subtract operation can be performed in this case between the objects. In case of just a plain stroke it can't do that.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2