You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AF Publisher: find and replace in selection

Another one for the This Feature Has to Be Here Somewhere file:

How do I do a find & replace which is limited to a selection?

Specifically, I'm working on a catalog which used to be an InDesign file. One of the categories of formatting which gets lost in the translation is text wraps. All of the line breaks in the old text wrap become hard carriage returns. So, if I move the image, it leaves a hole. If I re-size the image or the column, everything goes wonky-bonkles. So, I want to select a chunk of text and replace the hard carriage returns with spaces. But I absolutely do not want to go through every hard carriage return in the document.

15 minutes ago, mistergarth said:

How do I do a find & replace which is limited to a selection?

That's not yet supported.

You could copy that part of the text out to another editor, fix it, and paste it back.

Or, I think you could do a find for the return, then scroll down the results list to the spot you want to start replacing, and do the replaces one by one until you get to the end of that section of text.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...
On 12/17/2019 at 3:59 PM, mistergarth said:

Fiddlesticks.

Listing all of the hard carriage returns in this 20 page doc is no help.

Converting this  catalog to AF Publisher is turning into a big project.

Thanks for the info.

I hear you! I appreciate you "fiddlesticks" comment, in particular! I have also recently moved a multi-page document to Affinity from Microsoft Publisher (I'm THRILLED). But, some of the people who submitted text for the project have weird ideas about sentence spacing, so I wanted to be able to do a find and replace for multiple spaces. To make matters complicated, there are areas where I want multiple spaces (there's a list and a few other things that I use a double space for). So, I'm echoing your "fiddlesticks" very heartily! 

Affinity, please consider this an enhancement request or idea for improvement! Thank you! 

• 2 months later...