You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Auto Trace alternative solved

I'm aware there is a thread that has users requesting Auto Trace feature similar to Adobe Illustrator and some have suggested the Vectorization online web app as a work around. BUT, I have also discovered another method that using Adobe Capture on iPhone or iPad will do the trick. I did an experiment and used the 'shape' tool to capture a black and white image from a book and it converted it to SVG. From there I used AirDrop ( or you can use Dropbox or such ) to transfer it to the iMac that I have. 

So I tried another method and used an illustration I did as fan art on Procreate in black and white. I imported it from Camera Roll, then captured it as SVG and then Airdropped it to my iMac to be opened on Affinity Designer. And lo and behold! It has paths! 

This is one good alternative to Vectorizer but if you have Adobe Capture, you can export it out to any device or PC after saving it to the Library instead of straight to Illustrator or Photoshop. So to fellow Affinity designers, this is a great trick I discovered so give it a try! However, I still hope Serif can implement auto trace someday in the future without having to go through hoops.

I'm attaching photos as proof. 

IMG_3747.PNG

Screen_Shot_2019-12-17_at_1_40_38_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2019-12-17_at_1_39_03_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2019-12-17_at_1_39_16_PM.png

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/13/2020 at 5:44 AM, Fixx said:

This would be a quick iphone camera to vector route but I cannot save the svg to dropbox. It seems that only CCcloud is supported?

You can export it to Dropbox using Adobe Capture app. Or AirDrop it directly to the Mac which is what I do nowadays with this workflow. Also, the iPad version of Adobe Capture works well, too when you export black and white line art. 

On 1/27/2020 at 2:28 AM, Ozymandias1972 said:

You can export it to Dropbox using Adobe Capture app. Or AirDrop it directly to the Mac which is what I do nowadays with this workflow. Also, the iPad version of Adobe Capture works well, too when you export black and white line art. 

Out of curiosity I just tried on my iPhone - test traced this photo from 'Photos' - any image in 'Photos' (camera roll) can be used. It can be exported as an image, SVG or PDF via CC cloud, mail, messages, AirDrop, Dropbox, Google drive, you name it.

image.thumb.png.0d08b8a3c778a30c24fd66557ac8a1b1.png

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

18 hours ago, Jowday said:

Out of curiosity I just tried on my iPhone - test traced this photo from 'Photos' - any image in 'Photos' (camera roll) can be used. It can be exported as an image, SVG or PDF via CC cloud, mail, messages, AirDrop, Dropbox, Google drive, you name it.

image.thumb.png.0d08b8a3c778a30c24fd66557ac8a1b1.png

There you go! That works from the iPhone as well. I usually go with SVG directly AirDropped to my Mac. Dropbox as a last resort, however. But it still gets the job done.