You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

20 minutes ago, haakoo said:

That’s a really cool site. I’ve not seen it before. However, I don’t think it’s going to do what people here want. Looking at the DXF options, they all appear to be bitmap conversion formats. Unsure about PDF as it can be both but given all the others are bitmap I’m guessing it will be as well.

AA8FD678-D74D-4F68-B0DA-926A3763F224.jpeg

Hi all !

I'm just adding my voice for this feature :D It would be very useful.  But like others pointed out, there are many features to add to Designer and it's impossible to add everything at the same time :D

On 8/5/2019 at 11:08 PM, haakoo said:

Thanks for sharing the link ;) I used this website in the past and it works great!

Zamzar can't convert SVG to DXF. (in their inherent nature, SVGs are more reliable than PDFs) Which zamzar could convert a PDF created from Designer to a DXF. But how the file reads in a CAD/CAM program is anyone's guess. I've already encountered major PDF issues from Publisher. (The files end up larger by an order of magnitude, compared to an identical PDF export from InDesign, plus the color shift problems) There seems to be some issues with whatever PDF export engine that Serif is using. It's definitely non-standard. That being said, for now, I'll stay away from native file format to PDF to DXF export hoop jump.

On 8/5/2019 at 12:54 PM, ErrkaPetti said:

But, the question still occur; why do you and every other Pro-user of DFX here use Affinity Designer when it fails to do the job?

Because the simple fact that Serif exists as a stand up company with business integrity. And we choose to vote with our wallets and no longer support a leechy, blood sucking, greedy corporation that hates it's users, but loves the money. (adobe)

Also, it's not unreasonable for some home user to want to cut out a vector shape on their vinyl plotter. That's not really considered "pro level" equipment anymore. The barrier to entry is literally a Chinese eBay model or a CriCUT. But all of them operated on some form of simplified g-code or HGPL language. Which can all interpret DXF/DWG file formats without much fuss. Hell, even laser cutting and water jet cutting are making in-roads to home users with super popular products like GlowForge and Wazer. Having DXF support at this point is a no-brainer.

Now this is where Illustrator gets bad marks from me. While it's technically a vector drawing based program, Adobe has somehow hamstrung it's arc segment algorithm to be purposely non-standard. There's a marker somewhere within their lines of code that says not to play nicely with standardized CAD math. I don't know what it is exactly, but it's there. For instance when you draw a circle, you should get 4 nodes, 4 arc segments. Illustrator has thought it would be funny, that if upon export to DWG/DXF that it would break up those 4 arc segments into 100 individual, non connecting poly splines. This becomes a problem when an output machine, like the vinyl plotter mentioned above, tries to plot a smooth arc, but instead gets commands to make short jerky straight lines. So instead of a perfect circle, you get a Centagon.

Here's where I think Affinity Designer is going down the right path. They honor nodes and segments and it's true vector math. At this point, adding a DXF export engine seems like it should be as easy as buying a module and plugging it in to the back end and it's just there upon a new release. I'd be willing to wager, that IF they decided to make it an optional plug-in for purchase, just to see if people would want that integrated, that many would buy it and use it. We all realize just how popular InkScape has gotten over the years for people looking for a free alternative to Corel and Illustrator. Just think, how much money Serif could be raking in, if they offered a similar level of functionality, but with fewer bugs and quirks.

8 hours ago, EcoMouse said:

For instance when you draw a circle, you should get 4 nodes, 4 arc segments. Illustrator has thought it would be funny, that if upon export to DWG/DXF that it would break up those 4 arc segments into 100 individual, non connecting poly spline

Not saying it should be your workflow or anything like that, in Illustrator, but, have you tried "converting to curves" the circle instead of leaving it as "shape" ? (one could also select all and hit that thing)  It might be the case that then the export that seems you were be using (illustrator) could -maybe- behave differently (perhaps for a better output). Anyway, is just a curiosity of mine. 

(BTW, PDF works great for me for vector works, non CAD related...also SVG does well for 3D in my work (again, non  CAD))

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

10 hours ago, SrPx said:

Not saying it should be your workflow or anything like that, in Illustrator, but, have you tried "converting to curves" the circle instead of leaving it as "shape" ?

I'm not sure what version of Illustrator you are familiar with, but I don't have "convert to curves" anywhere. I do have under Effects: Convert to Shape and that's a no-no. When I draw a circle, I get four Bezier curve vector arcs and 4 nodes correctly. The issue is with their built in AutoCAD Export DXF/DWG functions. It's so much so a problem, that there are literally 3rd party export function solution plug-ins. I've demo'd a couple. One is particularly better than the others.

http://www.baby-universe.co.jp/ja/plug-in/

Take a close look at the plug-ins they offer and WHY, then you'll start to see where Illustrator's "professional" credibility is lacking as well. So much so that third-party developers have to come up with solutions and have you side load them, as they aren't officially available through Adobe's plug-in website.

Things like being able to run a plotter directly, (like you can from Corel). Object Correlation, Connecting Adjacent Paths, Node Clean-Up, Calling Out Dimensions in Technical Drawings... etc.

Here's my test for a new vector program, to see if I can use it in my workflow. It's kind of a shit-test for the export file type and how it handles curves, arcs, segments etc. I draw a circle and see if I can export it and am I able to cut it out accurately on a vinyl plotter. Surprisingly, there's quite a few apps that are vector drawing based, but on the iPad that can actually do this. Imagine my surprise! But I'll know that if the program can handle that "simple" task, I can also be assured that I can create a file that can also be cut on a CNC Router or Laser. (most of the time)

19 hours ago, EcoMouse said:

There seems to be some issues with whatever PDF export engine that Serif is using. It's definitely non-standard.

Perhaps it’s just me, but I don’t think it’s reasonable to describe PDFlib as “non-standard”.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

9 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Perhaps it’s just me, but I don’t think it’s reasonable to describe PDFlib as “non-standard”.

Definitely not, but the Affinity version 9.1.2 is from 2/2018, in the meantime (2/2019) 9.20 was released. Perhaps some PDF problem might have been solved in the meantime?

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

On 8/9/2019 at 12:49 AM, Alfred said:

I output a multi-page document, with text, pictures, embedded shapes (vectors) etc., from InDesign the file was 4.8mb after a standard pdf output conversion. Made the same document in Publisher, created from scratch, using Affinity's tool set, import function etc. The file could not be saved any smaller than 28mb no matter how many settings I changed. And every single one rasterized vector objects. (which is what I suspected to be one of the culprits for increased file size) Also rasterized all text except for a few words here and there, and seemingly some fonts as well. Not to mention all the colors were shifted horribly out of gamut and I could not get a client approval just based on color space not being honored upon export. So it's not "print ready output" and therefore whatever you think PDFlib is, it ain't industry standard as far as print output goes. I get it, Adobe created these segments, color spaces, and even Post Script. So there might be some processes that are proprietary to them that other programs just can't implement. Like have you ever tried to work with Microsoft Publisher files? What a joke.

I’m pulling my hair out because of this now...

I’m on Ipad Pro and I’m trying to export the designs to shapr3D for imprinting text on a 3D model I’m going to 3Dprint. But as many others here it only comes out 1/10th of the size I made it in Affinity Designer....Is there still no good solution for this?

7 hours ago, EcoMouse said:

I output a multi-page document, with text, pictures, embedded shapes (vectors) etc., from InDesign the file was 4.8mb after a standard pdf output conversion. Made the same document in Publisher, created from scratch, using Affinity's tool set, import function etc. The file could not be saved any smaller than 28mb no matter how many settings I changed. And every single one rasterized vector objects. (which is what I suspected to be one of the culprits for increased file size) Also rasterized all text except for a few words here and there, and seemingly some fonts as well. Not to mention all the colors were shifted horribly out of gamut and I could not get a client approval just based on color space not being honored upon export. So it's not "print ready output" and therefore whatever you think PDFlib is, it ain't industry standard as far as print output goes. I get it, Adobe created these segments, color spaces, and even Post Script. So there might be some processes that are proprietary to them that other programs just can't implement. Like have you ever tried to work with Microsoft Publisher files? What a joke.

Only a fast question.  Did you hit the "More" button in the PDF export dialog, so to set it to (for example) export as PDF/X-4 (or whatever the PDF/X specification your print company/software allows or requires, to ensure a safer print) and mostly to tell it to rasterize "nothing" ? In my experience it wont, it does respect vectors, if you set it so. And surely then the file would be much lighter. I'm often sending vector works (PDF/X-4 and 3) to print with Affinity Designer's export, no issue (logos, general designs, etc). I set every single setting there after hitting the "more button", though (well, with any format).

Colors... in "document setup" (and/or having done so when creating the "new document"), I set the color mode and profile, and at the end I export with the profile to be embedded. I am not experiencing any color shift issues in the PDFs exported (neither with other formats) . So, despite whatever the library they use, with good settings, it works quite well in the very varied projects I've used (there are other known issues, tho. Haven't been an obstacle in my work, anyway). I work in graphic design (DTP)  and illustration, not CAD (only related stuff I do is 3D printing miniatures, game dices or SVG designs for 'em to be imported in Blender 3D... renders of varied nature, etc. All that is working, here.)

I have needed to deal with MS Publisher files (clients, sigh). But I don't want to remember the experience. 

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

Anyone have any tips on the ipad version how to best create, export and convert to DXF and get the corect messurments?

Someone mentioned to make the drawing in pixels (aka 100pixels for 100mm) and then export as svg and tekst edit the file from px to mm? 

Again I´m on ipad so I use an online SVG to DXF converter.

• 1 month later...

Hi. It has been Years since Affinity users have been asking for more Export tools. The most requested are DXF and AI. 

I have reason to believe that this is going to be a long and tedious process.

May I suggest an online converter tool for Affinity Members.?

This can be a quick and temporary fix . It can also be done  if Serif  can make some type of deal with other sites that offer converting tools online.

What do you Guys think?

• Staff

@Clovel

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :) 

Your post is worded exactly like the half dozen spam posts we delete every day. I checked our database and I can see you are an Affinity Customer, thank you. Did you have a free tool in mind , or a paid one that you have tried?

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff
1 minute ago, robinp said:

Exactly?

Literally ;) 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Sorry Mr Connor. I was trying to figure out how to reply on this forum. I ve never been in a forum before.

If it is a free subscription for those who have original affinity products would be great. Or at least at a reduced price. But however it doesn't matter. The important is that we can keep working with Affinity software.

I already tried to purchase a converter (rea converter) . The rea team was very helpful in this regard but they told me that the sample file I've send them was a proprietary file format.

I don't care purchasing a converting software as long as the price is reasonable. 

Please just give us more export options.

No sorry I have never write a post on any forum before. I wrote an email to serif. A man named Steve gave me this link. 

I have other suggestions but I don't want to sound bad or that I have something against affinity. I think that affinity is a very good software, It dosent cost that much and  is easy to learn. But the Export tools are very important. I think you can agree with me dear friend.

Edited by Clovel

• Staff

Please don't apologise you did nothing wrong. It just goes to show that spammers do (try to) use the same language as real customers like yourself. Thanks for getting back with your suggestions.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

• 4 weeks later...

We are a firm of architects and I've been singing the praises of Affinity products since I bought them a few months ago. All the designers and architects we know use software like this and almost exclusively Adobe at the moment. However, not having a DXF or DWG export is a huge reason not to switch and is going to make our workflow so much more difficult going forward. Makes the switch from Adobe seem a lot less worthwhile now... Four years is a long time in software development and if it's going to be several more years it would be pretty depressing.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/4/2019 at 2:22 PM, rogerbythesea said:

We are a firm of architects and I've been singing the praises of Affinity products since I bought them a few months ago. All the designers and architects we know use software like this and almost exclusively Adobe at the moment. However, not having a DXF or DWG export is a huge reason not to switch and is going to make our workflow so much more difficult going forward. Makes the switch from Adobe seem a lot less worthwhile now... Four years is a long time in software development and if it's going to be several more years it would be pretty depressing.

Exact same situation here... I advertise Affinity in our architectural office to whomever wants to listen (or not... ;q ), and data exchange via DWG/DXF is a big concern.

Also, it's ridiculous having to pay subscription fees for (older versions) of the Adobe suite, and buy an in many ways inferior workflow than Affinity...

• 2 weeks later...

You can if you want... I’m sure they want, but are working hard with the recourses they have available, and I’m sure there is other priorities that are more important for them at this point.. even tho I’d like to have it now :-)