You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

1) Who said that features are not worth to pay for .. Make a new major version put the most demanded features in and offer the update for 10-20 bugs. major = significant step forward.

2) Who has forced you to offer free updates (and especially feature updates not just bugfixes) and create a forum where users can file requests?? By doing so you create expectations. If you can't fulfill them those who are left behind will get frustrated some day. This should not be that huge surprise!

3) I habe not read anything offending .. just a lot of frustrated users who wait a looooooooooong time for something which is more or less common!

Works as designed imho!

17 minutes ago, fjulian79 said:

I habe not read anything offending

In a reply to one of my posts I was accused of being “unnecessarily rude” although I had actually been, I thought, quite polite and courteous — and certainly not rude, unnecessarily or otherwise. A slightly heated exchange ensued, so a moderator removed the posts in question (apparently doing so before you had a chance to read them).

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4 (iPad 7th gen)

Although I would love to see DXF export soon, it looks like we may have to wait until the 2.0 release. If it is not included in 2.0 I highly doubt I'll be upgrading. Not to mention it may be a while until 2.0 comes along. I don't think there has been any mention of it yet.

Same issue here. I have a golden opportunity to pick up some freelance work with a print company that has a router, cnc, etc, and the standard file type is DXF. And there's no way I can currently afford Illustrator, which is why I went with Affinity Designer....but can't export files as DXF. Catch-22.

18 hours ago, robinp said:

+1 for this and for import as well. Ideally DWG too. 

DWG and DXF should be so similar that it should be easy to do both (if one is in the works..).

Problem may be what to do with unsupported features of AD, but it should not be a real problem as most users just want vector paths.

3 minutes ago, Fixx said:

DWG and DXF should be so similar that it should be easy to do both (if one is in the works..).

Problem may be what to do with unsupported features of AD, but it should not be a real problem as most users just want vector paths.

Yeah, to me that's the difference between 'save as' and 'export'. You expect export to lose functionality but hopefully retain all the data. Save as would imply you could open it up and start working on it again as you were before.

54 minutes ago, robinp said:

the difference between 'save as' and 'export'

I generally distinguish between these in that "save as" changes the open document to the one you are saving - after the "save as" you are editing the newly saved document instead of the original one - where "export" saves a copy of the document but you continue looking at the one you started with.  "Export" is more like "Save a copy as..." (which some applications do offer).

Different applications do seem to take different approaches in this area, though.

5 minutes ago, fde101 said:

I generally distinguish between these in that "save as" changes the open document to the one you are saving - after the "save as" you are editing the newly saved document instead of the original one - where "export" saves a copy of the document but you continue looking at the one you started with.  "Export" is more like "Save a copy as..." (which some applications do offer).

Different applications do seem to take different approaches in this area, though.

Yes, I agree there is that side to it. I guess my primary point is though that you don't necessarily expect an exported file to be editable in the same way as the original.

4 minutes ago, Flymo Fo said:

Its hypothetical as they have no intention of implementing DXF export anyway... 

I haven't read such statement. Do you have the link?

Best regards!

1 hour ago, Flymo Fo said:

Read the thread. 

There is not a definite "no" to it in this thread. The Roadmap Patrick referred to is the Public Roadmap (that is not Public anymore, until they decide otherwise), but, for example, they recently added supprot for TGA export... 

Best regards!

Are you a Serif employee by any chance Mithferion?

It is pretty pathetic customer service by Serif. Literally years after launch with DXF promised in the pipeline from day 1 they still cannot tell their customers when they can expect DXF output. My customers won't wait and neither should theirs. Why won't they just say when (and if) its gonna happen? Do they not care about their customers or are they worried they'll vote with their feet? 

2 hours ago, Flymo Fo said:

It is pretty pathetic customer service by Serif. Literally years after launch with DXF promised in the pipeline from day 1 they still cannot tell their customers when they can expect DXF output. My customers won't wait and neither should theirs. Why won't they just say when (and if) its gonna happen? Do they not care about their customers or are they worried they'll vote with their feet? 

There is a common thread among many discussion topics about the lack of communication around requested / promised features.

My impression (and personal feeling) is that many were happy to buy (literally and metaphorically) into the Affinity suite because from day one, each app was delivering a majority of the functionality that they were used to in a fast, affordable and fairly stable package. 

Time has gone by since then. The honeymoon is wearing off and there are several basic and essential features that are still lacking. (Publisher excepted having only recently been released). 

I’m skeptical about the balance currently being taken between secrecy and openness. It is possible to state that a given feature is coming without committing to date. It is possible to commit to a feature as coming during v2 upgrades or before v2. Or perhaps, even after v2. Caveats can be made along the lines of ‘if all goes to plan’ or ‘our hope is that if X and Y happen, we will be able to do Z’. Or even ‘we are working on this and our hope is that it is included in release X.X but this may slip’. You get the gist. 

I just don’t buy that the benefits of secrecy are that great. None of the features I’ve seen are innovative in concept. Perhaps the eventual implementation may be, but there is nothing gained by staying quiet. If DXF import / export is coming, why not categorically state that? 

All that is happening is that those of us who were excited and enthusiastic in the early days are now becoming weary and skeptical. Surely the most passionate users are those of us here on these forums. The ones who might create 10s or 100s of new customers through recommendation.

1 hour ago, Flymo Fo said:

No, he's not an employee.

The original quote from Tony (on page 1) was:

We will add support for additional file formats over time and DXF is a good candidate.

That's not a promise to add DXF, and for reference, we added TGA support last week, so the statement about adding additional file formats still stands.

Please read my post at the top of this page (5) if you haven't already - we aren't ignoring customers, or not caring about customers, we just have a lot of things to do which requires a bit of balancing:

3 hours ago, Flymo Fo said:

Mark already said what I had in mind, but I also want to add:

The Publisher experience might have made them change they way they announce Features and Releases, because it was delayed for years. So, again: they add File Formats and Features over time, but only they know why Feature A is delayed for years, and why Feature Z is released as a free update.

Now, for you, Feature Z might be a nonsense, but it can be a life saver for someone else.

I don't use TGA, but I'm glad they finally added it.

Best regards!

15 minutes ago, ErrkaPetti said:

@robinp You are one of few members here that is always so negative against Serif and the Affinity Suite... Why?

You bought some Affinity apps for several years for peanut money (compared to many other apps out there), and, you still got an tremendous app to use...

’It’s not that easy to just implement features and functions from every wishes out in the now million crowded userbase, but, me and A LOT of other users use what we have, and, if something is missing, there’s often a workaround or external solution to this missing features...

I think that Serif also have a lot of things going on in the house, but, it must work to (almost) 100% before release, and that can take years of development...

And, one more thing, what’s the BASIC features that you think is missing? Basic mean basic, and I can’t think of any basic function that’s missing here...?

RIGHT, and nice one to get personal.

I happen to have been negative in the last few days out of frustration. That's not always the case or have you read every post I've ever written? Some on the other hand waste their time attacking those who are providing feedback or even more pointless, just being sycophantic.

Basic features? Select by stroke / colour etc in Designer is basic in my opinion. It's like having a word processor without a find tool.

This being another. DXF is an extremely old industry standard format. I think it is a basic interchange format for vector artwork.

Let's stick to the topic rather than attacking others shall we?

Basic is not the same as widely used.

The Move Tool is Basic. The Save File option is Basic. The Select same... Feature could be described more like an Intermediate Feature that is widely used. This specific File Format, could be described is widely used in CAD workflows.

Best regards!

Just now, Mithferion said:

Basic is not the same as widely used.

The Move Tool is Basic. The Save File option is Basic. The Select same... Feature could be described more like an Intermediate Feature that is widely used. This specific File Format, could be described is widely used in CAD workflows.

I did state that it was in my opinion. You are entitled to yours. 

2 minutes ago, robinp said:

I did state that it was in my opinion. You are entitled to yours. 

I'd suggest to approach these topics from a wider scope that just our needs, and statements based on out needs.

Also, I'm not saying that they don't add support for this. Even if I don't have any use for it right now, I want them to add it at some point, because I believe it's going to be benefitial, for the users and for the health of the Suite. It's just that when people say "it's a basic feature" it sounds more like "I use it, so you should develop it for me first".

While I get that it's important for you, and I want you to have the Tools available, the way we express ourselves can make things harder. And there are ways to manage frustration, because it's a bittersweet trap that is hard to get out from.

Best regards!

1 minute ago, Mithferion said:

And there are ways to manage frustration, because it's a bittersweet trap that is hard to get out from.

The best way would be for such essential features that have been requested for 5 years to be delivered or at least some kind of roadmap indicating when it will be delivered.

While I appreciate that your post was made with the best of intentions, I do find other users trying to manage others really about the most annoying thing on these kinds of forums. Fine, if you disagree say it, if you have a question that needs answering then fine (or vice versa) but posts telling everyone to be positive when they are (justifiably fed up) is actually really quite provocative.

1 minute ago, robinp said:

The best way would be for such essential features that have been requested for 5 years to be delivered or at least some kind of roadmap indicating when it will be delivered.

That would be great, but again, we'd need to be in their Team to know how and why thay've made the decisions that are already a present. It's risky to make any assumptions regarding that.

3 minutes ago, robinp said:

posts telling everyone to be positive when they are (justifiably fed up) is actually really quite provocative. 

I'm not telling you to be positive. I'm not that kind of person, but I am a person that knows that having a poor frustration management is not good for your own health. You are more than welcome, in my opinion, to express your thoughts and how the lack of the Feature is bad for both parties (because it is).

And yes, I write with the best of intentions, based on the things I've learned in harsh professional IT environments.

Best regards!