You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Have you tried Blender? It works for me for many things... 

One workflow is Affinity Designer - > Blender.

One another way is Inkscape - > Blender, or directly from Inskcape as DXF.  Both apps are free. 

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

13 hours ago, JP Roberts said:

Will someone from Affinity Support please update this topic and provide the current progress of DFX export for Affinity.

You are wasting your time!  It would seem they are not interested.  I have now dumped this software and purchased Illustrator.

6 hours ago, Flymo Fo said:

Very very disappointing lack of response from Serif. I'd be happy to sell my Designer licence cheap if anyone wants it. I use alternative software now. 

I’m afraid your licence is non-transferable, both in respect of the terms of the licence agreement and from a practical point of view. Affinity Store purchases are tied to your email address and product key; Mac App Store or Microsoft Store purchases are tied to your Apple ID or your Microsoft Account, respectively.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4 (iPad 7th gen)

The non transferable license policy is common among the majority of software applications, today.

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

DXF SUPPORT Please!!!  

I have been hanging on to Affinity Designer hoping that DXF support was going to happen.  For now, I transfer files through an old copy of Illustrator CS6 to make files for 3D modelers and CNC work.  With the update of Mac OS this is no longer going to be possible illustrator CS6 will no longer run on the Mac OS.  

The sad news is that I will be forced into the hands of ADOBE :-(.  

2 hours ago, SrPx said:

The non transferable license policy is common among the majority of software applications, today.

The majority of software houses listen to their users and update their products to meet their customers requirements or at least keep them aware of devopments.

Serif Affinity obviously don't. 

13 hours ago, fde101 said:

Serif does not normally respond to feature requests.  Sometimes, but not usually.  They do read them.

Maybe the high and mighty Serif do read them but they evidently don't pay any attention to them. They don't mention their total lack of interest in what the customer wants when they are selling this stuff, which, With this core design flaw is essentially useless to people want to actually make things. 

49 minutes ago, Flymo Fo said:

The majority of software houses listen to their users and update their products to meet their customers requirements or at least keep them aware of devopments.

Like Adobe? I don't think so.

Ease up people, Serif cannot do everything at the same time. As a small company they cannot really guarantee a certain feature will happen at certain time frame. There may be unforeseeable problems which may delay implementation severely. And also, software architecture may force to add features in certain order. otherwise they will end up with spaghetticode that is impossible to maintain.

Serif need to understand that keeping your customer informed and involved is essential in business. That doesn't take much time or cost much money. Ignoring your customer's polite requests for updates is why companies lose customers and remain a small time operation.  

Paying customers should not have to "encourage"  Serif to produce fit for purpose software. Serif should do it to retain old and attract new customers. How much effort would it take for them to say "We expect to have DXF export available by X date" or  "We have no intention of including DXF output ever", rather than burying their heads in the sand and hoping the problem will just go away. 

Are some of these "dedicated users"  Serif employees or do they not actually make anything in the real world by the way. 

Designer Is promoted as a professional product. It doesn't have this essential professional feature.  They just need to tell us when and if DXF output is planned be implemented. If its not going to be just tell us. Its not rocket science. 

The thing is, DXF support has been requested from day one, it was at the time intimated that it would be implemented which is certainly what tipped the scales for me to purchase!  The fact that the feature is available in most other software packages is an indication of it's importance to the industry!  I have now bitten the bullet and purchase Illustrator.  If Serif had implemented their commitment to include the function I would still be using Affinity.  So, not only have they lost me but, they have also lost loads of recommendations I could and would have passed on!  The fact that they now do not even answer this subject speaks volumes on the company.

2 minutes ago, Flymo Fo said:

Serif need to understand that keeping your customer informed and involved is essential in business. That doesn't take much time or cost much money. Ignoring your customer's polite requests for updates is why companies lose customers and remain a small time operation.  

Paying customers should not have to "encourage"  Serif to produce fit for purpose software. Serif should do it to retain old and attract new customers. How much effort would it take for them to say "We expect to have DXF export available by X date" or  "We have no intention of including DXF output ever", rather than burying their heads in the sand and hoping the problem will just go away. 

Are some of these "dedicated users"  Serif employees or do they not actually make anything in the real world by the way. 

Designer Is promoted as a professional product. It doesn't have this essential professional feature.  They just need to tell us when and if DXF output is planned be implemented. If its not going to be just tell us. Its not rocket science. 

Could not agree more!!

40 minutes ago, Fixx said:

Like Adobe? I don't think so.

Ease up people, Serif cannot do everything at the same time. As a small company they cannot really guarantee a certain feature will happen at certain time frame. There may be unforeseeable problems which may delay implementation severely. And also, software architecture may force to add features in certain order. otherwise they will end up with spaghetticode that is impossible to maintain.

Ease up!  When they released the software I asked the question straight away, when will you include DXF output, I was told then that it was in the pipeline and would not be long!  They are happy to take the money from us and plough ahead with the new Publisher.  It would not take long to add what we have been asking for since day one of release.  Actually, before then, I was asking for it when the software was in the beta testing stage!

2 minutes ago, Cliff evans said:

It would not take long to add

How do you know?

48 minutes ago, Fixx said:

There may be unforeseeable problems which may delay implementation severely. And also, software architecture may force to add features in certain order. otherwise they will end up with spaghetticode that is impossible to maintain.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4 (iPad 7th gen)

If a SW dev state's he can do in within a day this does not have to be true .. and I'm a SW Dev. PM so I'm know what I'm talking about ;-) But this changes nothing at this topic. Just rank the feature requests by views or comments .. this one is definitely not the one with the less attention from the community. I thing that they just don't care at all as they will sell enough licenses without this feature and they are also working on this new app .. forgot the name .. sorry.  

My use case would be was to get dxf (ore any other compatible format) from fusion360, place it, change line colors and export as dxf for laser cutting. As a Mac user there has only been the illustrator for this job which is way to expensive for me. Now there is also Corel .. I hope that there will be a good offer some day .. until then I'm using my old win10 laptop just for this job. Maybe Inkscape gets Mac support again .. 0.92.2 does not perform well.

Anyway .. Im strongly convinced that they don't care about DXF support at all .. I don't wait for it or expect it to come, as soon there is an other alternative I will use it.

I've mentioned this a few times now, but Designer was released 5 years go, and since then we have continually added new features and bug fixes, for free. I understand that in this thread, people are disappointed about the lack of DXF support, and in other feature request threads you'll find other disappointed users. However, we have to balance our work loads and prioritise features over other ones. That doesn't mean we aren't listening, it just means we're busy. When Designer shipped it didn't support Artboards, Symbols, Assets, Arrow Heads, Multi-Fills & Multi-Strokes, etc. And these were all requests that came from users (you can find the old feature request threads on these if you search).