You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Four years went by since the first acknowledgement of the need for DXF export... I am a newbie in AD but an ex-Illustrator user from 1990.
Yes, DXF is one of the standards for some AD users (think of FabLabs, Maker Spaces!), we are not only Manga painters (sorry: artists).

Edited by tymcat
better choice of expression - thank you SrPx!

42 minutes ago, tymcat said:

we are not only Manga painters.

There are very few manga (painters?) artists around, at least chiming in. Most of those are using "Manga studio" (still called so in Japan), aka Clip Studio Paint , as the most prepared tool for their very specific task (even prepared for comic balloons, panels, and the comic book publication (EX version)), is thought in every step for them. And those not using it, is because prefer Paint Tool SAI, Open Canvas ,  Medibang /Fire Alpaca or Krita. Or just PS.  What I see in bigger numbers here are photographers. A large number of them quite pro, by all signs. 

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

I asked the same question on Twitter regarding any update on adding DXF export option. They're hopeful it'll be something that comes in a future update..... No other details were given, I'm afraid.

George

eejits: a curious collection o' creatures - www.eejits-online.co.uk 

SUPPORT eejits on PATREON. Exclusive Content & Rewards available! www.patreon.com/eejits

Get some awesome unique eejits merchandise at https://www.eejits-online.co.uk/shop

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to throw in my vote as well that I really need DXF export. I, also, send my designs to a laser cutter and DXF is what the machine reads.

I am creating ski resort trail maps in Affinity Designer, then I jump through hoops to turn it into DXF, then I cut the vector lines out of wood sheets.

Hopefully, you will add this to your road map soon.

okemo-2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

+1 for a dfx exporter. I have a mac os license and started to model and laser cut on a windows machine, I'd probably get a license for windows if this was implemented.

Any opinions on different workarounds? I suppose I can SVG to Inkscape and then try some plugins to export dxfs?

er...nope, no plugins needed, although I've never exported for a laser cutter. I have a great (very good friend since a kid) friend that has a very active small business around it, might ask her....

I mean,  Inkscape, always use the latest, most recent STABLE one, you just hit 'save as', then choose dxf format from the list. It says to be saving in Autodesk R14 dxf, I guess for major compatibility.

I am no trained with that workflow, tho. I know Inkscape uses to export solidly, well in most formats.

Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

You can also export in other way from A. Designer, as Inskcape opens a ton of formats, both bitmap and vector. I believe you could export as vector PDF as well. Just being extremely careful on what you export from AD, as might not be well translated (like rare gradients, raster effects,. etc...not the things to use in shapes for laser cutters)

• 3 weeks later...

Ehm... 700 euros versus 50 (or 50 x 3, but you can't buy separated apps of the suite), there ? Yep, a no-brainer in favor of Corel...  ;)  (j/k)

Plus... add to it that any vendor adding subscription of some form, seems in reality is aiming to replace purchasing with subscription... I had thought Allegorithmic's  Substance package was a great example of how to do it right, subscription + purchase only, but now Adobe has purchased it, end of story... Funnily, I believe this is going to empower Quixel, some other rare apps, and 3D Coat's sales. 
In favor of Corel, though... it's been a while since they added the subscription option, and they have not yet eliminated the purchase option, maybe never will.  But who knows.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

For the laser cutters out there...being that AD does not yet have DXF export, what are you currently using to convert files to DXF?

I am exporting SVG and using Inkscape to convert to DXF. I truly hate using Inkscape and would love to find another solution.

On 4/10/2019 at 1:26 PM, Flymo Fo said:

Have given up waiting. Using CorelDraw now. Loads more money but it does the job I need it to do. These guys are not very responsive are they? 

Nope. Same route for our design lab. Designer is useless for laser cutters since it can't export DXF or illustrator. Since we're an educational institution we could buy Corel Draw classroom sets for both Mac and Win for about the same cost as Designer. 

I was actually both surprised and disappointed that neither of the export options was included in the 1.7 release. I've deleted Designer since it won't see much use anymore.  

I too have given up.  They promised to have this sorted but have never delivered.  They seem to have lost all interest in those of us that supported them by purchasing their products.   As far as I am concerned they can do one now.  Gone to Corel Draw.

On 12/13/2018 at 1:57 PM, rosenthaller said:

eejits, could you post a link to your twitter post so we can retweet?

I’m not George (obviously!) but here you go:

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4 (iPad 7th gen)

Another request for DXF format, as side of laser-cutting there is sometimes need to export vector drawings to a CAD software in business and it can be sometimes very time consuming. There is also need to export CAD files to DXF and then read them to vector software, although it is often possible to just print to PDF and then open it in affinity but it would be much nicer to have files in DXF format as they can then be moved between different CAD software in use within company. 

• 1 month later...