You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I work in a large yacht sail manufacturing company operating in most countries. We have been using CorelDraw for converting fonts and sail logos to DXF for laser cutting or large-scale printing onto fabric. It would be great if our company could use Affinity Designer for this process. You would get heaps of new customers. If we could export individual layers to DXF, that would be even better.

Meta

Plotter-laser-low.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I was very excited when I heard Affinity Designer was in the works as I thought it would be a perfect addition for my company and would finally free me from illustrator.

However, the lack of DXF export makes it useless for my purposes. I have an art production company and 90% or our work is setting up 2D cut files for laser cutting and cnc milling.

I am stuck with AI even though I loathe it and even have a legacy copy of DrawPlus X8 which I use to regenerate pretty much every dxf file I produce BECAUSE THEY ARE THE MOST RELIABLE CROSS-PROGRAM-FRIENDLY DXFS I HAVE EVER USED. It is a major hassle having to do this though (duplicating files, managing, renaming, locating files etc.,).

So frustrating I can't combine the streamlined workflow of Affinity AND output files I can actually use for something other than print.

I have a lot of contemporaries nearby who won't make the change to AD for that one reason alone. 

Please consider this Serif - I'm sure it would be worthwhile in additional sales to the likes of me!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi .. 

All my laser cutting friends ;-) .. There is another thread related to this issue, see 

Im working with Fusion 360 and export DXF files from there. As preparation for my local hobby store I have to prepare a svg file based on those dxf's as the grain is often important for mechanical reasons. How ever .. to be happy in the context of case cutting we need DXF import and export. 

@Serif: do you even read what's requested here or do we waste our time? 

They read it. But they are not forced to go in a particular direction. (I'm not making it up, is from statements from them in the past)

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

Just sth you probably know, but if in some case it can be a helper tool somehow, Blender allows SVG import, and DXF export, or it used to do so. (Indeed, quite a few times I have done some auto trace of a complex emblem at Inkscape, simplified/cleaned, exported as SVG, imported in Blender, extruding as mesh, do my carving or boolean union, export as whatever (but I believe DXF is mostly for 3D meshes. Indeed, I used to only use it with elder game engines only importing those, as like STL, DXF forces a triangulation, in what is 3D meshes) . I know it has little to do with your workflow, but who knows if might get helpful at some point. Not sure what is the I/O situation now of these two formats. Also, apart from the oficial default activated addons, there are many other addons deactivated in preferences: official, community addons, you can dig the community for python scripts, etc. And the volume and variety of al that is huge. I'm using heavily lately Blender's 3D print official addon, proving to be essential for my workflow in those gigs...(is not thought for laser cutting, but some of that addon features might become helpful there, too)

I have a really good friend having a laser cutting business of her own. It goes very well for her. I'll be sure to ask about her workflows next time I meet her.

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

• 4 weeks later...

Come on guys! Give us an update on DXF export, please!! The more and more I use Designer for my products it becomes more and more evident that the .dxf format is extremely important and useful to your user base. It certainly has become for me. Suppliers I use have asked on numerous occasions for files to be given to them in dxf.

Surely by the evidence of this thread, the length of time this request has been on-going and the overwhelming need, this should become a priority.

Any updates would be gratefully received, guys.

Cheers,

George

eejits: a curious collection o' creatures - www.eejits-online.co.uk 

SUPPORT eejits on PATREON. Exclusive Content & Rewards available! www.patreon.com/eejits

Get some awesome unique eejits merchandise at https://www.eejits-online.co.uk/shop

• 2 weeks later...