You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

This is not ready for pro production yet :-(

6 hours ago, fde101 said:

Wouldn't this be controlled by the document resolution setting?  I would expect the image layer to rasterize to a pixel layer at the resolution specified for the document.  If that is defaulting to 300 dpi, then you would get a 300 dpi pixel layer.

No, the behaviour is caused by Photo's inability to deal with 1bit images. If no changes are made to the image, and the user returns to Publisher, the image looks the same as before. While in Photo "mode" the image is converted to a greyscale 300ppi version. Any change triggers the conversion.

16 hours ago, Medical Officer Bones said:

Photo's inability to deal with 1bit images

I get that you don't like 1-bit being converted to grayscale, but I was referring specifically to the "300dpi" part of it.  I would have expected the 1-bit 1200dpi image layer to be converted to an 8-bit grayscale pixel layer at the dpi which is set for the document.

I believe the document dpi setting would also be used for rendering the display in photo which would cause the 1200dpi image to "look like" a 300dpi one simply because of the way the display is rendered, even though it would still be stored as a 1200dpi image until rasterized to a pixel layer.

I'll need to play with this when I get some time later on.

1 hour ago, fde101 said:

I get that you don't like 1-bit being converted to grayscale, but I was referring specifically to the "300dpi" part of it.  I would have expected the 1-bit 1200dpi image layer to be converted to an 8-bit grayscale pixel layer at the dpi which is set for the document.

I believe the document dpi setting would also be used for rendering the display in photo which would cause the 1200dpi image to "look like" a 300dpi one simply because of the way the display is rendered, even though it would still be stored as a 1200dpi image until rasterized to a pixel layer.

I'll need to play with this when I get some time later on.

1-bit image is opened in Photo as RGB, not even greyscale.

1-bit image placed into Apub file exported is converted to RGB as well. 

45 minutes ago, redlik said:

1-bit image is opened in Photo as RGB, not even greyscale.

1-bit image placed into Apub file exported is converted to RGB as well. 

But at least in APub, one can click on the K-Only button on the context toolbar when such an image is selected. This doesn't negate the issue that it will still export at the document dpi, however.

Dear community,

hello, and I would like to chime in on the 1 bit topic.

To achieve greyscales or colors in offset printing, you must use a matrix of 16 by 16 dots to simulate half tones. So colored output has a resolution of at most 1/16th of the possible resolution of the output device. Of course, this also applies to the 100 percent part of mixed colors (like a 100/56.5/0/0 blue in CMYB model). With a 1 bit image being colorized in Publisher or Designer, the cyan part of the image would be processed with the full resolution.

IMHO this task should have a high priority, since it is essential for professional output of pixel images.

Edited by zot

• 2 months later...
On 3/2/2020 at 6:01 PM, musiberti said:

Still not ready for production: Version 1.8 has no global layers and no PDF Pass Through. Extreme disappointing.

And no footnotes, data merge, hand tool while inside text frame, table splitting between pages, no way to sample & paste text styles, import multi-page PDF in one go, and so on.... 

I guess we'll have to wait for version 2 and give it a try again.