You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to get the grid to strictly appear on an art board.

I am not sure how it is supposed to work with Windows but with Macs, each artboard can have its own grid. Also, the grid is shown only for the currently selected artboard, not for any others.

So maybe this is a Windows only bug?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

32 minutes ago, R C-R said:

I am not sure how it is supposed to work with Windows but with Macs, each artboard can have its own grid. Also, the grid is shown only for the currently selected artboard, not for any others.

So maybe this is a Windows only bug?

I really hope not. It is really frustrating to work with. 

6 minutes ago, ErrkaPetti said:

Even on iPad only the active Artboard shows the grid...

I would expect the iPad version to behave like the Mac desktop version in this respect, but until some Windows user or a moderator can comment on how it should/does behave on that platform, we won't know if this is a Windows only issue or what.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

On Windows:

image.png.02ec980a187295d1f250b5764a8da00a.png

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff

Hi Videowolff :)

Thanks for your report, unfortunately this is a known bug on Windows and is currently with our developers to be fixed - hopefully as soon as possible.

I'll bump the bug report with your thread now, my sincerest apologies for any inconveniences caused in the meantime.

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

I thought this was a feature rather than a bug.
As far as have experienced it, on Windows, Designer displays the grid for the currently selected artboard – as already mentioned, one grid per artboard – but it shows the grid across the whole canvas and therefore the grid looks like it has been applied to other artboards when it hasn’t.
I thought there may have been some good reason for it that I didn’t know about. Glad I'm wrong as it is a bit distracting.

13 minutes ago, GarryP said:

As far as have experienced it, on Windows, Designer displays the grid for the currently selected artboard – as already mentioned, one grid per artboard – but it shows the grid across the whole canvas and therefore the grid looks like it has been applied to other artboards when it hasn’t.

But note that in my screenshot, Artboard3 is active, but it and the grid are misaligned, which is not only distracting but unhelpful. I wouldn't mind the grid showing over inactive artboards, if it were at least properly aligned on the artboard that is active :)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Oh yeah, I didn’t notice that. That definitely looks wrong to me. I haven’t seen that myself but I’ve had some issues with multiple artboards and grids in the past that I’ve just been able to ‘click my way out of’ so haven’t reported them (irreproducible workflow).

On a similar theme, can anyone give a good reason why it might be better to have the grid visible outside of the currently-selected artboard (as it is now) rather than just inside the artboard? I’m just wondering if there could be a good reason for it to be like that, or not. I think it might be better if it was only visible inside but I’m open to reasonable persuasion otherwise. Up ‘til now it’s been a distraction to me but I might not be using it enough to see the benefit.

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

We have made fixes/improvements to Artboard grid display in the latest Windows customer beta. Sorry this issue has taken so long to get resolved properly. If you would like to try these changes the beta software is available in the forum posts listed below.

The latest beta builds are downloadable from links at the top of each of these beta forum posts.

These betas install parallel, next to the release version (they do not overwrite your release) and so the fixes can be tried in the beta without affecting your normal workflow in the release version. #when using beta builds, please work on copies of your files, as 1.8.0 uses a more advanced version of the file format than 1.7.3

Once these programs have been through a full beta process the change will be released in a future free 1.8.0 update/patch to all customers.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon