You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Changing grid line colour on a kniting pattern

My wife is an avid knltter and has recently got herself a pattern fraturing "Santa", which involves at least six different colours. The pattern has a grid of black lines, which are difficult to see on some of the main colours,  even on his white beard, believe it or not! The pattern is printed with A4 sized pages, which make it even difficult to see the grid being minute in size. I have scanned it in and hope to enlarge it, but am up against the problem of some of the grid lines being difficult to see against the background colours; hence my request about changing their colour. The pattern is this:-

Many thanks,

Merok1

IMG_20191211_0001_NEW.pdf

Which Affinity application(s) do you have access to? (The best solution may be different in each.)
Do you only have PDF versions of the patterns or do you have image – JPG, PNG, etc. – versions also? (One type may be easier to alter than the other.)

One quick option – in all the Affinity apps – would be to:
* add a Selective Colour adjustment;
* Choose “Whites” from the Colour drop-down;
* slide the Black slider to 100%;
* choose “Neutrals” from the Colour drop-down;
* slide the Black slider again to 100%.
It’s not great, but it’s a bit better.

Another quick option would be to:
* add a Levels adjustment;
* slide the Gamma slider to 2.
Again, not great, but a little bit better.

Adding both adjustments makes things a little darker – see attached – however you will lose some colour definition and you may use a lot more ink if you print it.

There may be better options in Photo but there’s not much point if you don’t have it.

Annotation 2019-12-15 093944.png

Edited by GarryP
Added some quick options.

Thank you all for your replies to my query.

I know I am classified as a Novice in Affinity, but believe it or not, my first excursion into Serif Programes (proper English spelling!) was before I even had a PC, with Page Plus 3 (THREE), supplied on 3½" discs! I fell for Serif immediately, as their Manuals were readable, unlike Microsofts!

To return to my query, my idea about that grid is to change its colour to the complementary colour of which it is on (if you see what I mean?) --- cyan on the red and yellow on the blue. Being a keen amateur photographer, I am aware of this.

Many thanks,

Merok 1 (Bertie)

9 hours ago, Merok1 said:

my idea about that grid is to change its colour to the complementary colour of which it is on

Using a white grid and changing its Layer's blend mode to Difference should do that, I think?

grid2.png

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Thank you all for assisting me in my (wife's) problem. The last request is how exactly did you do this?

As a special thank you I, hopefully attach a Christmas greeting produced with Page Plus, and a CD from Serif which includes Victorian graphics.

image.thumb.png.57c0e619e73aa2a9e957b30f4cc9a1c9.png