You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Typography bug placing PDF

XaviCG1

Hello friends,

I have a problem with Affinity Publisher. I think it's a Bug.

I created a document with a publisher, and exported it to PDF with crop mark.

I place PDF in a Publisher SRA3 document, but  the PDF placed, changes the letters "ti" to a C with an accent or a comma on top ... (Answering the question you have now ... YES, I have printed many copies)

DETAILS:
Typography: Callibri
Affinity Publisher 1.7.3

Any ideas on what's going on?

I have been using this workflow for several years with indesign ... but I'm not sure I can do that with affinity publisher...

Thanks in advance.

BUG.jpg

21 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

That italic "ti' sure looks to be a ligature, which could be causing the problem.

Hello, thanks for your answer and this new possibility.

you're in true reason... But... aPub applies automatically those attributes. I did'nt it manually.

Why? 

I did the try... and i create text box with new text... then i cahenged it to calibri and italic. The result? APub change the character attributes. Then that 'ti' letters have changed to 'alternative' and ligature changed too. And when i place that pdf, fail.

Well... Now.. knowing the reason, i've applied calibri and after, i've changed attibutes, deactivating options in character palette... (i think it's not the normal use or correct use -deactivate manually the standar font attributes, neither, the option used in APub: auto apply extra attributes -)

And, when i've placed PDF again, all seems to still with 'correct appearance', BUT NO... it haven't got the correct attributes. 
'surprise, surprise', Where i used calibri*, New APub document, place pdf changing character attibutes by itself. Sure.. Really... (i think it's not the normal use or correct use -deactivate manually the standard font attributes, neither, the option used in A Pub: auto apply extra attributes -).

I don't understand anything else... My APub it's alive :4_joy: ... or is possessed :4_joy::4_joy: (or maybe have a bug:7_sweat_smile:), really, i don't know what's happening.

*In that story i didn't explain it happens to more font types

Thank you!!!

bug-character-apub.jpg

It may help if you check your Export settings for the PDF. In the More... dialog make sure you're embedding all fonts, not just a subset.

Alternatively, if that doesn't fix it, you could change that setting to export text as curves.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

12 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

It may help if you check your Export settings for the PDF. In the More... dialog make sure you're embedding all fonts, not just a subset.

Alternatively, if that doesn't fix it, you could change that setting to export text as curves.

Hello,

Thank you too for your answer.

All fonts are embedded. I always do. Those errors occurs embedding all the fonts used in the original A Pub. document.

For this work, your proposal it's a good solution: Export text as curves.

For other jobs... maybe not. I think this issue is something that the affinity dev may investigate, or change (if it's a feature and not a bug...) but i think, something is not working fine.
With this job and a new one (to try), i open those documents in a PC embedding fonts in to the first PDF, but there, in the PC, fonts not installed in pc, where changed when i embed pdf to the new document... -I did no changes in new document, no edition, only embed) i'm sure that's not the way to proceed)... and all the problem have the same basis.

Thanks a lot!!

15 minutes ago, CreativaGrafica said:

With this job and a new one (to try), i open those documents in a PC embedding fonts in to the first PDF, but there, in the PC, fonts not installed in pc, where changed when i embed pdf to the new document... -I did no changes in new document, no edition, only embed) i'm sure that's not the way to proceed)... and all the problem have the same basis.

At this point it is a requirement that to Open or Place a PDF file in Affinity you must have all the fonts installed.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

41 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

At this point it is a requirement that to Open or Place a PDF file in Affinity you must have all the fonts installed.

Thanks Walt.

I understand as obvious the requirement we must have all the fonts installed to open a document Or to edit a document (in this case a pdf)... but sincerely not on embed pdfs (it's a contradiction).

But don't worry for this. Now I understand how work aPub and i'll do my better efforts to adapt to this kind of features (although i think this in particular it's a big error in concept -sorry :7_sweat_smile:-)

Thanks a lot :D

• 1 month later...
On 12/15/2019 at 10:55 PM, CreativaGrafica said:

I understand as obvious the requirement we must have all the fonts installed to open a document Or to edit a document (in this case a pdf)... but sincerely not on embed pdfs (it's a contradiction).

Yes, it contradicts the intent of PDFs, but it’s the state of Affinity software: It can’t just place PDFs with embedded fonts, but tries to interprete and replace them. You can call it a known bug.