You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Quick shortcut to control size, hardness or transparency for tools

It would be possible to add a shortcut to change the size, opacity or hardness of the tools more quickly, as can be done in photoshop, that by pressing high and normal click you can vary the size and hardness of the brush, in general for all tools.

Seria posible agregar un atajo para cambiar el tamaño, opacidad o dureza de las herramientas de formas mas rapida, como se puede hacer en photoshop, que al presioanr alt y clic normal se puede variar el tamaño y dureza del pincel, en general para todas las herramientas.

79370324_992849791079980_2640386137977257984_n.jpg

From the Photo Painting brush strokes help topic:

988558904_Brushmodkeys.jpg.3bf196287e3702df34be4aeef0378ab2.jpg

⌥ is the macOS icon for the alt/option key. ⌘ is the icon for the CMD key. I do not know if there is an equivalent on Windows to change the flow.

Also note that brush nozzles can be rotated using the left & right cursor keys.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

23 minutes ago, R C-R said:

I do not know if there is an equivalent on Windows to change the flow.

Is there one on Mac to change the flow? That Help only refers to width, hardness, and opacity (all of which work on Windows, too).

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

34 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Is there one on Mac to change the flow? That Help only refers to width, hardness, and opacity (all of which work on Windows, too).

From the last line of the help topic: "To change flow instead, press the ⌘ key then a number key."

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

4 minutes ago, R C-R said:

From the last line of the help topic: "To change flow instead, press the ⌘ key then a number key."

Sorry, I guess I stopped before that.

I am a bit confused, though. Is zooming one of the exceptions to Ctrl on Windows == Cmd on Mac? Otherwise you couldn't use Cmd+number to change flow, as it would change zoom.

And no, apparently there's no shortcut like that for changing flow on Windows.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

10 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

I am a bit confused, though. Is zooming one of the exceptions to Ctrl on Windows == Cmd on Mac? Otherwise you couldn't use Cmd+number to change flow, as it would change zoom.

Good catch! It seems the help file is wrong: on Macs holding down the CTRL key & pressing the number keys changes the flow.

EDIT: FWIW, I posted a topic to the Photo Bugs found on Mac forum that mentions this.

Affinity Photo 

• Staff

@R C-R I'm a little confused by the wording of the help file here, so I'm going to investigate this further and log any errors as appropriate.

Following the link you've provided above however, I'm not seeing the same modifier keys being used in the help file, as below -

12 hours ago, R C-R said:

988558904_Brushmodkeys.jpg.3bf196287e3702df34be4aeef0378ab2.jpg

image.png

Note the second line in my screenshot shows \ and Alt, rather than ^ and Alt. Could you confirm for me, was your screenshot taken in-app, or from the online help file? 

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

29 minutes ago, Dan C said:

Could you confirm for me, was your screenshot taken in-app, or from the online help file? 

It was from the online version. However, on my Mac both the Designer & Photo in-app Painting pixel brush strokes help topics also show the same thing:

903687327_modkeysdesigner.jpg.4d46ff47935f87af3be2d12fe3a5337b.jpg

Everything is set to use U.S. English, so if you can try that & see if you get the same thing I do or something different.

EDIT: Same online Photo help topic, viewed in Safari on my Mac with the language set to English (UK):

827862342_onlinePhotoUKSafari.jpg.db5de8093b8e96331c39e52cafeaa44d.jpg

Affinity Photo 

• Staff

Thanks R C-R, I'll do some further testing when I'm back at the office tomorrow and let our documentation team know :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• Staff

As a follow up to this report, please find a screenshot of the issues reported below -

image.png

I will also be raising the fact that Windows doesn't currently have a Flow control keyboard modifier - I hope this helps :) 

Please note -

Many thanks!