You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Making a template with transparency?Designer.

I have an imported pdf (placed) now I need to make the background transparent. The pdf is black and white I want the white to be transparent how do I achieve this? I tried rasterize to mask but it makes the entire pdf transparent. Please help if you can.

Mac MacBook Pro 15 in.  OS X 10.9.5, Mid 2012 456.77 GB Affinity Design and Photo.

If I understand your question, you want to make a template as a bottom layer that you can use to trace or redraw?

1. Import the image as the first layer

2. Decrease the layer's opacity to 50% or whatever suits.

3. Lock the layer.

4. Create a new layer above the template.

5. Make sure the new layer is selected and then use the appropriate tool to trace the strokes and fills of the layer below.

5. Make the template layer invisible

6. Print your new artwork

RG

Hi uncle808us,

Double click the PDF to open it in a new tab, then go to Document Setup, Colour tab and check Transparent background. This will make the background transparent on the document you placed the PDF.

That gives me a jillion curves not what I want this is a UV map. in PDF.

post-12456-0-22693800-1436730628_thumb.jpg

Mac MacBook Pro 15 in.  OS X 10.9.5, Mid 2012 456.77 GB Affinity Design and Photo.

Opening in Designer and checking doc setup color transparent does work but give me a jillion curves not what I want.

So....

This if for a UV map: Old pre Affinity work flow:In Gimp I would open the PDF  as a layer resize, then layer transparency to color (white) now I have just the black lines on a transparent background.

Now using Affinity Photo I can place the pdf layer resize it then rasterize the pdf file then use filter color erase white paper. That gives me what I want. I was hoping there was a way to do this in Affinity Designer but I don't see a way so if I want vector work in my texture, I will have to edit in Designer from Photo. Correct?

post-12456-0-83097200-1436731592_thumb.jpg

Thanks next episode : Seamless textures in Affinity Photo.