You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Find/Replace and Alternates

Hi A-Team,

Months ago I started a topic about finding/replacing all glyphs but I couldn't find it to continue on, so I have to start this one.

It was about adding glyph tab in Find/Replace to search and replace for those glyphs that can't be entered to this panel simply by typing it with the keyboard or simply by copy/pasting. I am concerned about a few specific cyrilic italic glyphs used not only in Macedonia, but in Serbia, Bosnia, Herzegovina and Montenegro, too. In that topic you suggested me to use open type alternates feature which works great. Really great. But... I won't start this again if there is not something problematic.

Open type alternates work great but only with fonts made by Adobe that, somehow, marked these specific characters as alternates. And this is not a case with fonts that come along with Windows such as Times New Roman, Arial, Calibri, Cambria... where this characters are not marked as alternates and Publisher's open type feature is not in game for these fonts.

Some of you may ask why do I have to use these fonts when there are much better choices like Adobe's. The answer is that most institutions like courts, faculties... are stucked with them. Recently I started to work with some of them and when I offered Minion Pro, Myriad Pro... for their substitution, I almost lost them as customers.

So, I am asking you: are you willing to add this feature in Publisher that will be usefull for other purposes too, or I'll still have to use InDesign for special occasions.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

44 minutes ago, lmarcos said:

For some faculties Cardo can be a good choice. It was develop with the academics on mind.

Thanks for the suggestion, but it is out of question. The institutions control with Acrobat which font is used. So, it must be Times New Roman.

BTW, does it support cyrilic alphabet? Imay use it for other projects.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

Cardo has support for latin, greek and hebrew http://www.scholarsfonts.net/cardofnt.html

With support for cyrilic alphabet you can use EB Garamond http://www.georgduffner.at/ebgaramond/design.html

Can't copy what the designer says about replacement for local Serbian/Macedonian and triangular cyrillic variants, but I've attached the glyphs and the specimen for your convenience.

By the way, both fonts can be downloaded from Google fonts, but there's a broader set of families for EB Garamond in Duffner's dowload page.

EB Garamond Specimen.pdf

cyrillic 2.jpg

cyrillic.jpg

10 hours ago, Petar Petrenko said:

The institutions control with Acrobat which font is used. So, it must be Times New Roman.

BTW, does it support cyrilic alphabet? Imay use it for other projects.

I got curious and started looking around. The web is a mess.

found this site https://www.myfonts.com/fonts/mti/times-new-roman-os?tab=techSpecs

list of languages seems pretty good and there are a ton of glyphs.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

12 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

I got curious and started looking around. The web is a mess.

found this site https://www.myfonts.com/fonts/mti/times-new-roman-os?tab=techSpecs

list of languages seems pretty good and there are a ton of glyphs.

Times New Roman, Arial, Courier New, Calibri, Candara, Corbel, Constantia, Consolas, Cambria... they all have all Macedonian, Serbian... italic chars, but the "problem" with them is when used in InDesign, alternates for 4 specific glyphs are not shown next to the non-Macedonian... characters as Adbe does with its fonts (Arno Pro, Minion Pro...).

13 hours ago, lmarcos said:

Cardo has support for latin, greek and hebrew http://www.scholarsfonts.net/cardofnt.html

With support for cyrilic alphabet you can use EB Garamond http://www.georgduffner.at/ebgaramond/design.html

Can't copy what the designer says about replacement for local Serbian/Macedonian and triangular cyrillic variants, but I've attached the glyphs and the specimen for your convenience.

By the way, both fonts can be downloaded from Google fonts, but there's a broader set of families for EB Garamond in Duffner's dowload page.

EB Garamond Specimen.pdf

cyrillic 2.jpg

cyrillic.jpg

Cyrilic fonts are usually made by Russian designers and don't care too much to implement all cyrilic characters. In these examples 3 MK (Macedonian) chars are missing.

Check the specimen and contact the designer on the emaill at the end. He is Austrian and might be receptive to adding missing letters and chars.

Btw, I see in 2.2 a kind of í with an horizontal line in between (or the forth one in the third line with an ´ on top) that is not shown in the pictures above. I'm attaching the regular font so you can check if those three chars are actually missing from the pictures or from the font.

EBGaramond12-Regular.ttf

• 2 months later...

@Petar Petrenko, I was looking for bold small caps and came across one other font mentioning specifically serbian and macedonian and I remembered this thread.

https://www.1001fonts.com/libra-serif-modern-font.html

Libra Serif Modern is intended to give a chance for using the so called Bulgarian Cyrillic letter form model as a default model for the Cyrillic glyphs in the Unicode range uni0410:uni044F. Libra Serif Modern expands the opportunities and avoids the limitations of WGL (Windows Glyph List) as a pan-European character set through particular use of Open Type .locl features and Open Type Style Sets features for Russian, Serbian and Macedonian languages.

Not sure if Liberation Serif, which is the font used by LibreOffice and is mentioned also in the description has support for macedonian.

41 minutes ago, lmarcos said:

@Petar Petrenko, I was looking for bold small caps and came about one other font mentioning specifically serbian and macedonian and I remember this thread.

https://www.1001fonts.com/libra-serif-modern-font.html

Not sure if Liberation Serif, which is the font used by LibreOffice and is mentioned also in the description has support for macedonian.

Thanky you very much. It is OK, I'll just have to edit the font just to replace BG/RUS glyphs with MK ones.