You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Embedding a pdf with crop-marks

credesign

Designer 1.7.2

When using Embedding documents if I place a PDF (File>Place) with crop-marks instead getting a (embedded document) I get a (Linked Document) and without cropping marks.

Previouse versions did this and I need it to make a A3 with many business cards with individual crop marks.

So I think it´s a bug but if not a bug how can I do it now ?

Thanks

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) running MacOS Catalina version 10.15.7

Processor:  2.5 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7  / Memory: 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics:  NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2 GB &.Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

Affinity Photo 1.9.3   / Affinity Designer 1.9.3  / Affinity Publisher 1.9.3

Hello credesign,
With the placed PDF still selected, go to ‘Page Box’ in the Context Toolbar and select one of the following; MediaBox, CropBox or ArtBox.
As this is not a sticky setting so you will have to reset it for every PDF image you place. So just duplicate the first placed image and then arrange them as needed.

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

6 hours ago, markw said:

Hello credesign,
With the placed PDF still selected, go to ‘Page Box’ in the Context Toolbar and select one of the following; MediaBox, CropBox or ArtBox.
As this is not a sticky setting so you will have to reset it for every PDF image you place. So just duplicate the first placed image and then arrange them as needed.

Hi markw,

Thanks a lot for your answer, but the funny thing is that I have a pdf with colour bars and this feature remove the colour bars but left the empty space.

So the pdf is not centered in the box.

Is there any way to avoid this ? 

Thanks

Interesting… I’m not seeing that here. Attached is what I typically get.
This is what you are after correct?
Are you able to post a test PDF that doesn’t Place correctly for you that I or others here could test with?

962198505_PlacedPDFWithPrinterCropMarks.png.5c984a8ac189852887675e47849fc8a8.png

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

Hi markw

I think the problem is because I export the previous pdf with Designer 1.7.2 and I update yesterday to 1.7.3

If I do the export with the new version I got it correctly.

I do not find any other explanation I also try the pdf with and without layers.

Screen Shot 2019-12-14 at 19.19.36.png

1 hour ago, Sean P said:

Hi credesign,

Are you saying that the upgrade to 1.7.3 allowed you to place and export the objects as you wanted them?

Hi Sean P

Correction:

When I was tying with Designer v 1.7.2 I didn't knew that we need to change "Page Box" settings so it look to be my fault.

Now it places as (Linked Document) not as (embedded document) that I was expecting.

And no color bars that should be correct and also no document information.

Just cropping marks and registration marks.

Is this correct ?

Thanks

• 1 year later...
On 12/15/2019 at 12:07 AM, markw said:

Hello credesign,

Hi @markw, do you know if this function is available in Designer for iPad? I used to use it on Designer desktop all the time but I can’t find it on the ipad!

Thanks 

1 hour ago, jemmalee said:

Hi @markw, do you know if this function is available in Designer for iPad? I used to use it on Designer desktop all the time but I can’t find it on the ipad!

Sorry @jemmalee, I’m afraid I don’t have an iPad so can’t help you with that question sadly.
But following your voyage of discovery over in the iPad forums I see that you and @ProDesigner have found an answer and more besides!😎
Love a happy ending!😀