You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Text Style - UI viewing issues

I'm just setting up a new project and doing some experimenting and importing of styles. The text styles area in the graphic below is messy, but that's not the point.

Have a look at the image and ask yourself:

1) How does one read a label that uses 2pt type in the menu? (Okay, maybe it's 3pt) :)

2) Why is there an indent in the "Page # Top R" Paragraph style label when it is an exact duplicate of the Top L style, except that the text has been set to align right?

Is the text styles UI mimicking the edited values set in the paragraphs or character settings? So if I choose align right, does the label of that preset also move right?

Point is, this looks REALLY messy and is totally ineffective in terms of organizing an easy workflow.

Opinions? Insights? All are welcome.

text styles labeling issues.png

My BOOK (created with Publisher, Designer & Photo):
Clearing a Path to Joy (And finding contentment along the way)

My WEBSITE (also developed using Affinity apps):
www.RolandK.ca — "Relentless adventures in self-expression"

[Power Mac & Intel PC (HighSierra/Monterey/Win 10]

There UI has various options that you can set via it's burger menu (icon with 3 bars to the right of the Text Styles label).

One of them is to style the list to show a sample of what text using the style will look like.

Sounds like you'd prefer to turn that off and choose a different display style.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

You, sir, should be knighted for this. Thank you. The text styles menu now looks reasonably sane to me. :)

I'm still relatively new to the program and am also of that type of person who learns by brute force doing (and watching a few videos) rather than reading through the manual. :D

However, I have worked in that little menu on a few occasions, importing styles and checking "hierarchical" etc., but never once did the words "Show Samples" catch my eye.

It must have been by design, to ensure your knighthood.

Thanks again.

I'm sure there are many other forum members who could also have answered that, Roland. I just got there first :D

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Okay, fair enough. I have instead sent in your application for sainthood to the Vatican. :D