You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Beta 523 - IDML Import Oddity - Picture Frame for a Rectangle

Just noticed another odd item. On page 1 a rectangle was imported as a Picture Frame, but has no content contained within it, nor does it show the normal Picture Frame handles/controls. When you select the rectangle (Picture Frame as shown on the Layers pane), the RM shows a jpg being associated with it, but that may be simply defaulting to the top of the RM list. But still odd that the rectangle was imported and/or shows as a Picture Frame. Perhaps this is just how it's done???? Doesn't seem to cause an issue, but a bit confusing. 

Screen Shot 2019-12-13 at 2.26.30 PM.png

--------------------

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020 i7 72GB) • AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB • macOS Ventura
MacBook Pro, 13", M1 2020 • 16 GB • macOS Ventura
iPad Air 2022

I just imported a couple more IDML files and see that most all ID-created rectangles etc. are imported as Picture Frames, but without they usual Frame controls, probably because there is no image within the frames. Maybe this is normal??

--------------------

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020 i7 72GB) • AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB • macOS Ventura
iPad Air 2022

On 12/13/2019 at 11:50 PM, nwhit said:

I just imported a couple more IDML files and see that most all ID-created rectangles etc. are imported as Picture Frames, but without they usual Frame controls, probably because there is no image within the frames. Maybe this is normal??

I noticed this, too. I think it has to do with the differences between AfPub and InDesign regards of "boxes". In ID, I usually don't think about which box I use, As they are basically the same. In Publisher, I am learning that I have to pause and consider what I want to do with this rectangle, later in the process.

Usually, I am just doing rough wireframes at start, and only later begin to fill some of those boxes with images. This requires the extra-step of "converting rectangle to picture-frame" and vice-versa...

• Main machine: iMac 2019 (21,5-inch 4k, 6core), 64GB RAM, 1TB nvme + 2TB ssd, running on Mac OS 13;
  • Display setup: 28" 5k Display (primary) + 21,5" iMac4k-Display for studio panels (secondary);
  • Keyboard layout: german apple extended keyboard (aluminium);

Uploaded via the link in the other thread on IDML Import Picture Frame issue.

--------------------

iPad Air 2022

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Jon P said:

Just to clarify a lot of InDesigns objects are default in frames (which may not be immediately visible from InDesign), which we read from the idml file and import as such

Yes, since then I looked at the original ID files. I guess I had never needed to know that in ID their graphic elements (rectangles, ovals, etc.) are actually in a "frame", so I was surprised after importing the IDML. Now that I know that, I am expecting it.

Still have the issue, however, where on a couple of the IDML imports (files already sent to you) a few graphics/pics came in to APub in a frame but with no controls for sizing, moving, etc. Can't seem to figure out why it happened with those items since they don't appear to be a certain type. All were originally Placed into ID by simply using a Place command. Many come into APub just fine, but a few don't come in correctly. 

--------------------

iPad Air 2022

• Staff

Can you just point me to the name of some of the resources in the file you've sent me with export issues that are missing these controls? I'll see if there is anything unique about them

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

So may I restate here: It should be clear, that we need a way to convert image frame to rectangle to clean things up afterwards. Either manually or automatically

(you will not always have the original document and a running InDesign installation to correct this before idml-export)

• Main machine: iMac 2019 (21,5-inch 4k, 6core), 64GB RAM, 1TB nvme + 2TB ssd, running on Mac OS 13;
  • Display setup: 28" 5k Display (primary) + 21,5" iMac4k-Display for studio panels (secondary);
  • Keyboard layout: german apple extended keyboard (aluminium);

10 hours ago, Jon P said:

Can you just point me to the name of some of the resources in the file you've sent me with export issues that are missing these controls? I'll see if there is anything unique about them

I just uploaded a couple screenshots that are marked up to show the graphics/pics imported within Picture Frames that do not have controls. I'm pretty sure I've previously uploaded that particular IDML import APub doc to you. In my looking, I don't see that it has been for a particular file type, so not sure why it happens. 

--------------------

iPad Air 2022

10 hours ago, woefi said:

So may I restate here: It should be clear, that we need a way to convert image frame to rectangle to clean things up afterwards. Either manually or automatically

That would be a nice feature/capability for these IDML imports if possible.

--------------------

iPad Air 2022

On 1/10/2020 at 2:07 AM, Jon P said:

Just tried to import the "Aero LAS A4" IDML again in today's new beta and have mostly the same issues, plus an odd opening issue.

1) Upon opening, it said it could not find several resources and asked if I wanted to locate. You have theses files (ID and IDML plus links), and all images, etc., were linked to a Links folder. However, APub didn't seem to know that for several of the resources, so I had to locate them. However, when I selected the 2nd "missing" file, the dialog froze up (see screenshot). I ended up having to do an ESC to get out of the dialog. Interestingly, it had actually saved that linage.

2) All of the previous graphics that did not have Picture Frame controls are the same -- no controls.

3) Did not get the warning/error after opening the Resource Manager and replacing a graphic. That said, none of them showed Modified, only Missing this time, plus I had that hang at opening during the Locate function.

Screen Shot 2020-01-15 at 2.54.19 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-01-15 at 3.08.54 PM.png

--------------------

iPad Air 2022

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.