You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

My suggestions for preflight presets:

Overprint

Overprint applied to White colour

It would be very nice to have a possibility: Menu / View / Overprint preview of document

Colours

Colour spaces not allowed (possibilty to chose which colour space is/isn't ok for current document)

Document contains spot colours (list of them)

Resolution

Separate resolution control for 1 bit B&W bitmaps that require a different resolution (800–1200 dpi) than 8 bit Grayscale + RGB/CMYK bitmaps (300–340 dpi)

Fonts & Styles

Font missing
Glyph missing
Paragraph and Character style overrides

iMac: 3,6 GHz 10-Core Intel Core i9 / Graphic: AMD Radeon Pro 5500 XT 8 GB / System: Sonoma 14.1 (23B74)

1 hour ago, Jens Krebs said:

Text overflow

What would that Preset have? Just Text Overflow enabled, and everything else disabled?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

3 hours ago, SillyWalk said:

Resolution

Separate resolution control for 1 bit B&W bitmaps that require a different resolution (800–1200 dpi) than 8 bit Grayscale + RGB/CMYK bitmaps (300–340 dpi)

As 1 bit B&W bitmaps are not supported today, I'm not sure I understand this one.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

27 minutes ago, Jens Krebs said:

It would show what pages and which frames text contain more text than fits in the frame.

But the Preflight checks already include that capability.

So you're asking for a Preset that only checks for that situation, and nothing else?

-- Walt
PC:

1 minute ago, mac_heibu said:

If we get more presets, at some point it certainly will be necessary to have preflight categories like images, text, fonts, document, …

True, but I'm not sure we need Serif to provide a complex set of Presets.

I think it's more important for them to provide the checks, and a small set of Presets. Individual users can create their own to fit their unique situations.

-- Walt
PC:

If Serif does choose to provide preset presets for the preflight panel, I think it would be best if they would stick with presets that fit well-defined standards in the print industry rather than cater to all of the oddball requirements that individual users are likely to come up with.

If the presets can be imported/exported, then print shops could provide presets matching their requirements so their users could download them and add them to Publisher if they want to.

6 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

I think it's more important for them to provide the checks, and a small set of Presets. Individual users can create their own to fit their unique situations.

Agreed 100%.

Thank you for adding this! Even in this early form, it's great to have!

Agree it might be nice to have groups/categories, plus the ability to run a group/category check.

--------------------

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020 i7 72GB) • AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB • macOS Ventura
MacBook Pro, 13", M1 2020 • 16 GB • macOS Ventura
iPad Air 2022

THANK YOU for the PREFLIGHT :17_heart_eyes:
here is my wishlist on checks and more

Prepress Wishlist
in addition to the existing checks above mentioned by other users

Checks in Preflight live/export

• Total ink coverage is above n %
  • Empty pages
  • Different page sizes
  • Black/grey text doesn't overprint and is smaller than n
  • Black font consists of multiple colors
  • Object uses transparency

Checks in Preflight AFTER export
on the exported PDF file all checks would be very ensuring for production especially following

• PDF/X conformity for PDF/X-1a PDF/X4 etc
  • PDF standards PDF 1.3, 1.4, etc
  • Font is not embedded
  • Courier is used within trim box (because was replaced on export due to missing font)
  • Total ink coverage is above n %
  • Black font consists of multiple colors
  • Object uses transparency

Views

• Overprinting preview
  • Total ink coverage warning view
  • paper simulation for soft proof adjustment(?) (should work on all pages at once)

Right now I am using Adobe Acrobat Pro every day for alle the above mentioned and more checks.
In general Affinity PDFs show less issues than InDesign PDFs but most issues are user generated.

Advertising designer - Austria —  Photo - Publisher - Designer — CS6 d&wP — Mac Pro 5,1 (4,1 2009) 48GB 2x X5690 - RX580 - 970EVO - OS X 10.14.6 - NEC2690wuxi2 - CD20"—  iPad Pro 12.9" gen1 128 GB - Pencil

1 hour ago, Johannes said:

Empty pages

Hmm...   if a page contains only a plain white rectangle, the same color as the paper, then is it still empty?

Checks in Preflight AFTER export

The preflight panel in Publisher is strictly pre-export at this time and there is no indication that this is likely to change...  can't say for sure, but I would not expect this.  However, some of these checks might be relevant once PDF "pass-through" is supported, to validate the PDFs that are embedded within the document?

Font is not embedded

I suspect "font cannot be embedded" would be a more generically appropriate check, in case the permissions in a font that was used forbid embedding it?

4 hours ago, Johannes said:
  • color separation view/preview would also be nice :11_blush:
  • Overprinting preview
  • Total ink coverage warning view
  • paper simulation for soft proof adjustment(?) (should work on all pages at once)

Hell Yeah!

iMac: 3,6 GHz 10-Core Intel Core i9 / Graphic: AMD Radeon Pro 5500 XT 8 GB / System: Sonoma 14.1 (23B74)

• 3 months later...
  • Staff

This thread is locked. If any of these suggestions made in the beta forum are still outstanding in 1.8.3 please post them in the suggestions forum.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon