You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

An other SVG Bug

Hi @all,
I found a Bug with a SVG File. I f i open the attached File in Designer Beta (also in the current Version), it will be displayed unsharp. See the Screenshots below please. Maybe it could be the same Bug like in an Issue which i posted a few Month ago. I don´t  know.....
The bug is in the newest Beta and in the current Version.

This is what it should look like:

christmas-156508.thumb.png.f341865ae73ce4a8ef225399520184d2.png

And this is what Designer displays:

43476135_ScreenShot001.thumb.JPG.9b1ccda5e57d0edea1e8ac41102b8d9e.JPG

The same Result i get when i export the File, f.e. as jpg or pdf.
Here the svg file: christmas-156508.svg

Have a nice day.
Ich wünsche einen schönen Tag.

Hello @Uwe367,
i think it's not a bug.
Look at the marked layer, the Gaussian Blur the value is very high.
Cheers

Stern.png

Affinity Photo 2.4:         Affinity Photo 1.10.6: 

Affinity Designer 2.4:    Affinity Designer 1.10.6:

Affinity Publisher 2.4:   Affinity Publisher 1.10.6:    

Windows 11 Pro  (Version 23H2 Build (22631.3447)

Hm.. but now i opened the file in Inkscape and it is correct displayed without correcting the gaussian blur.
Maybe Designer has a little Problem with the interpretation of such values.

Have a nice day.

17 minutes ago, Uwe367 said:

Hm.. but now i opened the file in Inkscape and it is correct displayed without correcting the gaussian blur.
Maybe Designer has a little Problem with the interpretation of such values. 

I think you can be right with your guess,

Cheers

Affinity Photo 2.4:         Affinity Photo 1.10.6: 

Affinity Designer 2.4:    Affinity Designer 1.10.6:

Affinity Publisher 2.4:   Affinity Publisher 1.10.6:    

Windows 11 Pro  (Version 23H2 Build (22631.3447)

3 minutes ago, Gnobelix said:

I think you can be right with your guess, 

Cheers

Maybe yes, i don´t know. Let us wait and see what staff writes to this issue :)

Have a nice day.

I believe there is something more going wrong with this File.
It´s a svg File which includes a group and i think, that the Fault occurs in case of the group. With a single element in the svg, it doesn´t occur. The candle and the other svg Files including only a single Element and there are no Problems.
See the Screenvideo below please.
For Example i want to place this svg (the Star) in an other File, there will be nothing but an empty rectangle displayed and the created Layer is empty.

If i open the svg File in Designer, it will be displayed with a much to high Value of Gaussian Blur, but when i copy it with STRG+C and insert it with STRG+V it is displayed correct.
It´s crazy. I tested again and i can edit the empty Layer by clicking "edit Document". Then the file opens in a new Tab and it is displayed, but when i go back after editing, nothing is displayed and the Layer stays empty.

In the current Version 1.7.3.481 it works. I can place the File and the Layerpanel displays what it should, i can edit the File and after editing, the changes are applied and displayed. A small Bug in the current Version is, that the placed File is not displayed as a group in the Layerpanel, it is displayed as a single file.
The group only becomes visible when I edit it.
Should I open a new issue in the corresponding forum for this Bug?

Have a nice day.

• Staff

Hi Uwe367,

I believe the issue is that when we read the stdDeviation attribute in from the SVG's feGaussianBlur element we're just using it as a pixel value, however I believe it will need to go through some form of conversion based on the document size so it can be sized correctly. As it stands just using the value ican give incorrect results, and in your case too much blur is appearing.

I'll get this passed on to development.

Regarding the video, that is actually a separate bug. If you notice when you first place the SVG the PageBox on the Context Toolbar has no value, because of this it is not showing any object. As soon as you click in that dropdown and select an option it will appear. This is a known issue with development

However please note that the blur will still look incorrect as it is basing the blur on the embedded document's size and not the document it is placed into. When you copied and pasted it, it appeared correctly because the document (and the object's placed size) was much larger so the blur is having less of an effect.

• Staff
On 12/14/2019 at 1:37 PM, Uwe367 said:

In the current Version 1.7.3.481 it works. I can place the File and the Layerpanel displays what it should, i can edit the File and after editing, the changes are applied and displayed. A small Bug in the current Version is, that the placed File is not displayed as a group in the Layerpanel, it is displayed as a single file.
The group only becomes visible when I edit it.
Should I open a new issue in the corresponding forum for this Bug?

Just to add that this is the correct behaviour. When using File > Place vector objects will get placed as a single 'Embedded Document' object. These can be edited by double clicking them which will open as a new document, any changes you make are automatically saved and the source document updated when you close the embedded document.

8 hours ago, Sean P said:

Hi Uwe367,

I believe the issue is that when we read the stdDeviation attribute in from the SVG's feGaussianBlur element we're just using it as a pixel value, however I believe it will need to go through some form of conversion based on the document size so it can be sized correctly. As it stands just using the value ican give incorrect results, and in your case too much blur is appearing.

I'll get this passed on to development.

Regarding the video, that is actually a separate bug. If you notice when you first place the SVG the PageBox on the Context Toolbar has no value, because of this it is not showing any object. As soon as you click in that dropdown and select an option it will appear. This is a known issue with development 

However please note that the blur will still look incorrect as it is basing the blur on the embedded document's size and not the document it is placed into. When you copied and pasted it, it appeared correctly because the document (and the object's placed size) was much larger so the blur is having less of an effect.

Thanks a lot for the Explanations @Sean P
If i select in the Context Toolbar Minimum or Maximum Content, it becomes visible.
And with the Blur Effect you are also right. Good to know for my further work :)

8 hours ago, Sean P said:

...When using File > Place vector objects will get placed as a single 'Embedded Document' object. These can be edited by double clicking them which will open as a new document, any changes you make are automatically saved and the source document updated when you close the embedded document.

That´s what i noticed and i thought it´s a Bug that the Object will get placed as a single 'Embedded Document' object. But it is ok when this is the right Behavior. Also good to know. :)
Thank you very much. Very helpful Explanation.

Have a nice day.

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

We have made fixes/improvements to this area (Placing Embedded document places a blank 'file' initially) of the program in the latest customer beta. If you would like to try these changes the beta software is available in the forum posts listed below.

The latest beta builds are downloadable from links at the top of each of these beta forum posts.

These betas install parallel, next to the release version (they do not overwrite your release) and so the fixes can be tried in the beta without affecting your normal workflow in the release version.

Once these programs have been through a full beta process the change will be released in a future free 1.8.0 update/patch to all customers.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.