You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[1.8.0.523] Closing unsaved New Document gives two Modal dialogs with no "Don't Save" option.

Weird behaviour with closing a new document which is unsaved. I have two modal windows pop up, first one is what I think of as normal the second appears and is lacking the Don't Save option.
This is for New Documents only, at least I think it is. Opening an existing Document and making changes then closing it the regular Don't Save/Cancel/Save window is offered.
Both OS 10.12.6 and 10.14.6 are exhibiting this behaviour.

As you can see the regular window will appear after I click cancel on the first.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Staff

Can you constantly reproduce this? If I close a modified document, click "Save" and then "Cancel" it just returns me to the document, which is what seems to be happening in the screen recording, I don't get the second save message.

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

In the video, there is a brief flash of the more complete dialog, then the save dialog that is pointing to the Templates folder, then when that one is dismissed we see the first (more complete) dialog again.

I wonder if it's significant that the middle dialog is pointing to the Templates folder?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

3 hours ago, Jon P said:

Can you constantly reproduce this? If I close a modified document, click "Save" and then "Cancel" it just returns me to the document, which is what seems to be happening in the screen recording, I don't get the second save message.

I get two brief flashes of two different dialog boxes, seems to happen sometimes sometimes not. I believe it is more prevalent after logging out and in again or restarting the computer.

I can't give a recipe for it other than ...

Okay, try making a new document from one of your own presets. I mean a hand made preset, not a tailor made, roll it by hand. Modify it and close without saving (without ever having saved it... that is important) see what happens then. Maybe it is from my preset or from my preset from the retail version.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Just tried it on mine and I get the correct dialog. I opened the New dialog, created a new doc, added a table, then tried closing the window. 

Note: This was using one of my created presets, new doc, only added a table, then tried to close window/file.

Screen Shot 2020-01-09 at 11.44.57 AM.png

--------------------

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020 i7 72GB) • AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB • macOS Ventura
MacBook Pro, 13", M1 2020 • 16 GB • macOS Ventura
iPad Air 2022

I'm seeing the same as Bruce - but also sometimes instead it instantly closes without saving. This is with any standard preset from the new document dialog (A4, A5, A6). The Save as dialog that comes up is pointing to the last-used location.

MacBook Pro M1 Max, macOS 12.6.1 Monterey
Affinity Designer : 2.0  Affinity Photo: 2.0,   Affinity Publisher: 2.0

• Staff

In the video, there is a brief flash of the more complete dialog, then the save dialog that is pointing to the Templates folder,

This is with any standard preset from the new document dialog (A4, A5, A6)

So I can see this flash which looks wrong when double clicking a preset from the new document dialog to open it, Even so when I click "Cancel" on the I don't see it again, I have seen it instantly close both dialogs though.

I'll get this logged, I suspect when the above gets fixed it should iron out all of the issues people see here as it all seems related.

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

We have made fixes/improvements to this area (Close/Save As dialogs are closed before any action can be taken) of the program in the latest customer beta. If you would like to try these changes the beta software is available in the forum posts listed below.

The latest beta builds are downloadable from links at the top of each of these beta forum posts.

These betas install parallel, next to the release version (they do not overwrite your release) and so the fixes can be tried in the beta without affecting your normal workflow in the release version.

Once these programs have been through a full beta process the change will be released in a future free 1.8.0 update/patch to all customers.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.