You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

New Document Window Display Issues

New Document Panel
Panel is now resizable and modeless.
Reworked categories and subcategories.
Added multiple user template folder support.
Added Page Preset label (allow for `Custom`).

Thanks for this, its a step in the right direction...unfortunately for me it seems to have a mind of it's own. It was fine until I changed to the template tab, then the right hand panel wanted to be over on the left side, when I selected the preset the text on the far left was hidden and left a lot of dead space on the far right. Being able to adjust the inner divider might resolve this. Resizing seemed to make matters worse, moving the far right of the window pushed the panel further to the left overlapping the left hand side completely. 

I couldn't find the Page Preset label that allows 'Custom' but it might just be hidden due to the display problems.

Running MBP with touchbar on Sierra

Edit: A restart of Publisher returned to the original layout. 

Each time you click templates, then click presets the right panel moves further to the left O.o

Screen Shot 2019-12-13 at 13.52.27.png

Screen Shot 2019-12-13 at 13.55.34.png

Edited by Murfee
Added Comment

• Staff

Thanks for the report - we are aware of this and have it logged.

It is caused by having the 'Show scroll bars' set to 'When scrolling' in System Preferences > General. With it set to the other two options this issue does not appear.

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

24 minutes ago, Jon P said:

Thanks for the report - we are aware of this and have it logged.

It is caused by having the 'Show scroll bars' set to 'When scrolling' in System Preferences > General. With it set to the other two options this issue does not appear.

Thanks Jon, I will have a look. 

Also notice that after a restart of the app, the New doc window expands full-size, which on a 27" screen is waaaaaaaaaaay too large. I would think that once the window is resized by the user, that size should be retained/sticky even after a restart. 

--------------------

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020 i7 72GB) • AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB • macOS Ventura
MacBook Pro, 13", M1 2020 • 16 GB • macOS Ventura
iPad Air 2022

1 hour ago, nwhit said:

after a restart of the app, the New doc window expands full-size, which on a 27" screen is waaaaaaaaaaay too large.

In my case it doesn't open that large but the window occurs on the smaller of two monitors and behind all panels. Unfortunately toggle-UI doesn't work then, and also doesn't work before using "New..." when no document is opened already.

796824950_toogleUInotaccessiblewithoutdocument.thumb.jpg.50010165886cef243ae75749a70b9305.jpg

86104619_v523New...windowhiddenbehindUI-panels1.thumb.jpg.de5310ca5305f1c5bc40279a80df6001.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Some issues,
some are possibly more obvious in light mode ...:

2127469423_v523New...variousissues.thumb.jpg.afd3b920dae17ced25575bafa421cafa.jpg

The last sidebar option appears to be the "Open..." menu command. Unfortunately when canceling this option the entire "New..." action gets quit:

1571378362_v523New...sidebarlastoption-canclcancelstwowindows.thumb.jpg.d551b7229e7aae9e80f5f3126f9dfddc.jpg

Actually I still don't see the advantage in these new document icons.
The preset icons don't show info besides page orientation. For existing documents, for both templates and recent files, I simply can use the macOS internal finder options, e.g. to show previews (and in their entire page, not as cropped center only) ...:

1534240886_new-open-macOSoptioniconview.thumb.jpg.0c81fc0d2882728145da5c0c3f0db7a9.jpg

4 hours ago, nwhit said:

Also notice that after a restart of the app, the New doc window expands full-size, which on a 27" screen is waaaaaaaaaaay too large. I would think that once the window is resized by the user, that size should be retained/sticky even after a restart. 

That happens to me as well. Also 27 inch monitor. I'd like it to keep the size I set it to.

Also, File > Close affects the window BEHIND the New Document window. Since New Document is the active window, the Close command should close the New Document window.

10 hours ago, Jeremy Bohn said:

File > Close affects the window BEHIND the New Document window. Since New Document is the active window, the Close command should close the New Document window.

I think the File > Close command in no mac application is used to close a dialog window. Instead those windows have a Cancel button + the red dot in the upper left corner.

So I would expect the File > Close command to be grayed out (= not accessible) as long the dialog window "New..." is opened – or, at least, just not to react, like it currently behaves when File > Export was selected and its window still is opened.

13 minutes ago, thomaso said:

So I would expect the File > Close command to be grayed out (= not accessible) as long the dialog window "New..." is opened – or, at least, just not to react, like it currently behaves when File > Export was selected and its window still is opened.

If I understand the .523 beta announcement, on Mac the New Document dialog is now modeless. Previously, it was modal (like the Export dialog) and when a modal dialog is active nothing else will work.

With a modeless dialog, the other actions would remain available, including things like File > Close. And since the "new" document is not open yet, Closing something would have to close a document that is open. So, if "new document" remains modeless, the challenge for Serif will be to figure out what other actions shouldn't be allowed. Or, maybe it's just a matter of recognizing what has the focus, and only allowing actions that make sense for whatever has the focus currently.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

8 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

If I understand the .523 beta announcement, on Mac the New Document dialog is now modeless. Previously, it was modal (like the Export dialog) and when a modal dialog is active nothing else will work.

Walt, thanks for this hint – I hadn't understood the term 'modeless' before.

A quick check with some mac apps shows that the "Open..." * window usually is modeless, too. But in all cases it doesn't have the three dots in the upper left corner (but a Cancel button), is resizable, and shows the command File > Close as grayed out as long this window is open, in some apps then even the entire File menu items are grayed out.
in v523 the current use of File > "New..." seems to include the "Open..." options, as kind of a substitute.

1141912480_FileOpen_FileClosegrayedout.thumb.jpg.1474d4f70581f47aec1b8150fb407713.jpg

12 hours ago, thomaso said:

A quick check with some mac apps shows that the "Open..." * window usually is modeless, too. But in all cases it doesn't have the three dots in the upper left corner (but a Cancel button), is resizable, and shows the command File > Close as grayed out as long this window is open, in some apps then even the entire File menu items are grayed out.

Yeah, it's the same in "Textedit", too.

-> the key is: FILE-CLOSE should be greyed out UNTIL a "closable" document has FOCUS (modal or not – you ALWAYS need to know WHICH document to close!)

• Main machine: iMac 2019 (21,5-inch 4k, 6core), 64GB RAM, 1TB nvme + 2TB ssd, running on Mac OS 13;
  • Display setup: 28" 5k Display (primary) + 21,5" iMac4k-Display for studio panels (secondary);
  • Keyboard layout: german apple extended keyboard (aluminium);

• 2 weeks later...

I have also observed some of this odd behavior that is reported above, so I am glad to see I don't need to make a report of my own.

I only wish to add that I found it odd that the new document window can be made fullscreen, and it made for some confusion when I tried it. Here are some steps:

1. Open a document with Publisher in fullscreen mode.
  2. File->New to bring up the new "New Document" interface.
  3. Click the green fullscreen button on the "New Document" window.

Not sure why someone would want to do that, but now try to undo it.

4. Click the green full screen button on the "New Document" window again to bring it out of fullscreen mode.
  5. Now it is a separate window, on a different space from the app. Close the "New Document" window.
  6. Go back to the main app (which is still in fullscreen, as expected), and try File->New
  7. The "New Document" window opens again on a separate space.

There now does not seem to be a way to get the "New Document" window to pair back up with the fullscreen app—not even after taking the app out of fullscreen mode and back—short of restarting Publisher.

Let's keep going with this further test:

8. File->New to bring up the new "New Document" interface.
  9. Make it go fullscreen again with the green button
  10. Click the close window button. Now you are left with a full screen of Affinity nothingness (this partial screenshot is the top portion of Mission Control):

473809139_ScreenShot2019-12-27at1_48_56PM.png.679e05ce8812444e8a30c9512ae06581.png

Pedantic side note: I did not realize until now that the opposite of modal is modeless.

Edit: I should add that I am on macOS 10.14.6 and the test is Publisher 1.8.0.523

• 2 weeks later...

This is a nice improvement indeed. The last beta looked like it was working on functionality, and this one looks like it is approaching a nice polished look to be proud of. There are a couple of spots that look off in my judgement, indicated with the red arrows in the screenshot. The first (top) is a gap (in the scroll bar?) that has an unintentional look about it. The second is a dropdown that is clashing with the edge. These both could be a consequence of UI color and text size choices I have made.

new_document_gap.thumb.jpg.f9d8a16818aab81008eb4ff824e702bc.jpg

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.