You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

.523: Preflight error? Or text flow error? Both?

Recipe:

1. Create new facing page document (starting on right) in .523
  2. Add a text frame to document page 1.
  3. Place a .txt file into the text frame.
  4. It overflows.
  5. Try File > Print. Preflight warning dialog pops up. Invoke preflight check.
  6. Preflight correctly shows that there is overflowing text on page 1. Definite improvement over prior betas!
  7. Shift+click on the red linking triangle. Publisher creates 12 more pages.
  8. Preflight panel now says there are no errors. Yay :)

All is good so far, but then for fun:
  9. Go to page 12 (of 13). Click on the linking triangle leading to page 13. Click again, and press Delete to delete the link.
  10. Expected: Page 12 would now have all the text it previously had, plus the text from page 13, and would show an overflow.
    Actual: Page 12 is now empty. All the text from pages 12 and 13 is now on page 13, and overflows. Page 11 links to page 13.

11. Also, Preflight now says that there are text overflow errors on pages 10, 11, and 13.
    As pages 1-13 all show red dots on the text frames, why aren't all pages reported in Preflight?? Or, more usefully, shouldn't it report only page 13?

Possible bugs:

• The behavior that actually occurred in step 10 above.
  • The reporting in Preflight in step 11.

Sample .afpub file after step 8: preflight.afpub

Sample .afpub file after step 9: preflight2.afpub

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff

As pages 1-13 all show red dots on the text frames, why aren't all pages reported in Preflight?? Or, more usefully, shouldn't it report only page 13?

It should only report the last one, and I can confirm it doesn't and have logged it (well, a dev read this and logged it but i'll pretend it was me).

Expected: Page 12 would now have all the text it previously had, plus the text from page 13, and would show an overflow.
Actual: Page 12 is now empty. All the text from pages 12 and 13 is now on page 13, and overflows. Page 11 links to page 13.

I'm struggling to see this, if I click again in the frame it breaks the link, but then you say press delete to delete the link? If I press delete it then just deletes the frame. Might have misread/misunderstood this.

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

15 minutes ago, Jon P said:

I'm struggling to see this, if I click again in the frame it breaks the link, but then you say press delete to delete the link? If I press delete it then just deletes the frame. Might have misread/misunderstood this.

Sorry for the lack of clarity, Jon.

To delete a link you:

1. Click on the linking triangle, and the tool icon becomes a black triangle and two linked bubbles.
  2. Click on it again, and the tool icon gains a red x between the bubbles instead of a link.
  3. Press Delete (or click within the frame), and the link is deleted (not the frame).

This is explained in the Help for Linking Text Frames.

My understanding had been that all of the text would then collapse into the source frame (where you clicked), not the target frame. But perhaps I've simply misunderstood, or things have intentionally changed at some point that I did not notice.

The Help text is somewhat vague about that: " When unlinking a frame in a populated frame sequence, all text after the unlink point will be placed in the previous frame, and will overflow that frame." I can read that as either describing how I thought it worked, or how it actually works now, but perhaps "previous" needs a clarification there, and maybe a diagram, if it's working as intended.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

• Staff

Press Delete (or click within the frame), and the link is deleted (not the frame).

When I press delete, the link isn't deleted but the frame is. If I click inside the frame again when the icon shows the red x the link to the frame on page 13 is broken so page 12's frame now overflows.

If I press delete the frame is deleted so the link is moved onto page 13 and that frame contains the text that would have been on Page 12.

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

My frame isn't deleted when I press Delete, as long as I have that tool icon.  But perhaps that method is acting as though it were deleting the frame.

I'll play more in a few hours when I'm back at my PC. Thanks.

-- Walt
PC:

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

We have made fixes/improvements to this area (Preflight: Overflowing text frame complains about every frame in an overflowing text flow
) of the program in the latest customer beta. If you would like to try these changes the beta software is available in the forum posts listed below.

The latest beta builds are downloadable from links at the top of each of these beta forum posts.

These betas install parallel, next to the release version (they do not overwrite your release) and so the fixes can be tried in the beta without affecting your normal workflow in the release version.

Once these programs have been through a full beta process the change will be released in a future free 1.8.0 update/patch to all customers.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.