You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo: Export Slices for high quality print jobs?

Hi, I hope someone might be able to answer a question I have.

I've designed a wide poster (3 * 24x36 inch) and need to split it into 3 parts. (I will also be making different aspect ratios so a lot of slices are required). The output format will be JPG since I'll need to send files to my customers. I'm going to get it printed by a professional printer and create high quality prints.

Can I use slicing for printing purpose, or is exporting slices only for web images? In other words, will I lose image data when exporting slices? 

Theoretically the output from a Slice should be no different to the output from the Export function given the same settings. You should be able to think of the Export function as once big slice over the whole document.

However, you might possibly have some trouble if you have multiple slices covering an image when the slices are not precisely aligned/positioned to pixel accuracy.
For example, if you position two slices next to each other by inches (or other non-pixel UOM) there is a chance that a line of pixels could be missed from one or both slices when the conversion from inches doesn’t exactly line up with the pixels in the document. Or, the other way round, you could have the same line of pixels repeated.
If you are careful then you shouldn’t have a problem but there could be issues if you are not careful enough.

Try exporting the slices and then reconstituting those images back into a new document with the slices side-by-side. You should be able to tell from that how well the export function has worked and tweak things if something is wrong.