Sign in to follow this  
haakoo

AFpub as designated text editor[suggestion]

Hi,

It would be nice to have afpub as designated text editor.
When placing/drag/drop a text only afpub file to afpub, one can't use text wrap and text styles are not brought over to a project file.
I know that it works the other way around by placing external files into an afpub file and edit within the project file the wrap around these external files.

ex.
Create text only afpub file>save
New project file>place the just created text only afpub file>have it bring over the text styles to the project file and have objects with wrapping set,wrap around the text only file.
When double click/edit document, one can edit the text without the disturbance of the layout objects and one only needs to switch between tabs to view the alterations.
In a way this would be like linked text.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Win10(1909)Home / Photo / Designer / Publisher & latest (beta) versions

Are you saying that you would like Placing a "text-only" .afpub file (whatever that is) to work like Placing a .txt,  .rtf or .docx file? In other words, only the text should be placed into the Text Frame, and could be flowable through other frames?

And what is a "text-only" .afpub file? All .afpub files have pages, not just raw text. And their text is in frames, which are linked and placed in certain positions on those pages.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1909 (183623.476),
   Desktop: 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz, GeForce GTX 970
   Laptop:  8GB memory, Intel Core i7-3625QM @ 2.30GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4000 or NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.532 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.532 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.535 Beta

Create text in a texframe,give it a textstyle, on a page>save it as text.afpub 
Now place/drag/drop this in a new project>it is linked ,right
Now put a shape on top and have it wrapped>doesn't work
Your textstyles are also not in the project file.
With "edit document" you can alter(live) the text in a new tab.
And it reflects the changes in the project file this is how it works right now.

My suggestion is to edit the afpub file in a new tab but have the layout done in the project tab.
So the wrapping can be applied to object to an afpub file like it does with shapes or images over a textframe.
The styling should be brought over to the project file like it does with assets.
This way you can alter the text but the textstyling is done in the project file.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Win10(1909)Home / Photo / Designer / Publisher & latest (beta) versions

Thanks for that clarification, haakoo.

That's an interesting proposal, though I'm not sure I see a need for it, as I don't foresee a need to have the same text document with different images over it.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1909 (183623.476),
   Desktop: 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz, GeForce GTX 970
   Laptop:  8GB memory, Intel Core i7-3625QM @ 2.30GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4000 or NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.532 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.532 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.535 Beta