You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Any plans for a more direct Lightroom replacement?

Just bought AP, since I'm sick and tired of Adobe products getting worse and worse. I have years of pro experience in design, but am only doing it as a side gig these days, and do more photography. I'm looking for a tool that I can quickly crank hundreds of photos through. This seems alright as a P'shop replacement, but what I'm really looking for is a replacement for the newly and unjustly de-buffed Bridge. Lightroom is an unwieldy behemoth that devours hard drive space and can't handle SSDs and removable media, and the subscription model is an absolute deal killer for me. The RAW editor in AP seems almost there but not quite, though it will have to also operate in terms of folders of many files, and handle metadata features, and fast bulk export is a must. I'd also like tethered capture features as well.  Also, it would be even more awesome if this was also available for Android tablets.

• Staff
On 10/7/2014 at 5:43 PM, TonyB said:

Do you plan to have Web site design/Digital Asset Management/animation/video editing products too?
We’re not sure yet! but we are very interested in adding a DAM solution to the Affinity suite in future.

I hope this helps!

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

• 2 weeks later...

Have you tried Darktable and Raw Therapy ? Both open source free.     Have lots of features absent in Lightroom  like turning  you RAWs into floating point 32 bit exr files .     They might be missing Lightroom  AI neural network  things  but they have always seemed to me kind of toyish and pretty useless so far

3 minutes ago, kirk23 said:

Have you tried Darktable and Raw Therapy ? Both open source free.     Have lots of features absent in Lightroom  like turning  you RAWs into floating point 32 bit exr files .     They might be missing Lightroom  AI neural network  things  but they have always seemed to me kind of toyish and pretty useless so far

Affinity's Raw develop persona is a very accurate and good.
I am sure, now it could be easily and fast to implement XMP core and batch raw processing.
Don't know why Serif doesn't complete this extremely demand task as fast as possible.
There are a lot of photographers work with huge raw series, not only only by one.

t

11 minutes ago, tmvideo said:

not only only by one.

those open source ones also work with series,  Lightroom does it a bit quicker although.   I am paying the subscription and even don't have it installed on my main pc.   Prefer Darktable just because it does few things I need that Lightroom can't.     Like exporting  straight to HDR formats

10 minutes ago, kirk23 said:

those open source ones also work with series,  Lightroom does it a bit quicker although

We are in Affinity Photo thread. Inhouse XMP compatibility and batch raw processing are demanded.
It is not about others, it is about smooth workflow in Affinity Photo. 

I

7 hours ago, tmvideo said:

It is not about others, it is about smooth workflow in Affinity Photo

I just think that would be pretty tight market with so many Lightroom alternatives. Especially with free rivals that are actually good.    I just don't  want them spreading resources beyond  APhoto that still misses a lot even from Photoshop. We need something   better  and beyond  Photoshop actually .    Designer is so basic it's almost a toy too.

I have limited experience in LR4 but liked the catalog and keyword search features. As far as cataloging files I would love to eventually see a LR replacement from Serif. Right now I am sure they are busy bringing us better and better updates to AP (like custom color highlighted menus) but I am sure they are expanding into new areas as well as they feel our love as a user base and support with purchases. <3

• 2 weeks later...

I, too, am seeking a Lightroom replacement as I cut the cord to Adobe. For my projects, the features I need most seem relatively simple: indexing. So far at least, I'm impressed with the RAW and compositing features in AF Photo. It's not hard to imagine a LR replacement working in the Affinity-scape. The AF-LR would sync with AF Photo by enabling me to find and choose specific images based on keywords, etc. and pass them to Photo for processing. In AF Pub, my photo library would appear in the Assets Panel, sorted by my choice of keyword, date, or location on my HD. As I research the currently available LR replacements, I'm saddened, overwhelmed, and unimpressed. Some lack basic indexing features. Some are parts of other software suites and I'm not sure how well they'd work in AF-land. Most have redundant features already in AF Photo or their most marketed features make me say "why would I want to do that?"

I would be shocked if Serif didn't announce their Lightroom alternative at the next "Affinity Live" event. It's the only app listed in their initial vision of the suite that hasn't been released (as outlined in the forward to the Affinity Designer Workbook). It's definitely coming next and before the 2.0 versions of Photo and Designer.