You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Histogram & Scope are Slow to Respond

Hi all,

The histogram and scope have about 5 second lag as I'm editing the curves adjustement on a 2mb jpeg photo (taken on an iphone). This destroy the work flow as you can imagine.

Doing the same thing on a 250kb jpeg photo has less than a second delay - which is business as usual. 

I'm using a macbook Pro 15" mid 2012 with NVidia videocard and 16gb of ram on High Sierra. All software is fully updated - mac, Nvidia and Photo.

Does this seem normal to you? It doesn't to me. I use Davinci Resolve for producing films on the same machine, and the colour scopes respond instantly to running film. Is there a tweak in Photo that I'm missing, or is it something to be improved?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

groetjes,

Luke

• Staff

I've tested using some 20MP images and the Histogram updates within a second or so when editing a Curves adjustments on one of our systems. You can try changing the Display setting in Preferences > Performance and also try turning of Metal compute/hardware as acceleration.

However in the Photo persona updating the histogram is a background task.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your response, Lee. Metal hardware acceleration wasn't on, but it was chosen in the "display" menu. Switching it to another selection pretty much solved it to within a second response time. Thanks for the pointer.

I don't fully understand those choices - is there somewhere to read up on the explanation of "software, open GL and Metal". The help seems to be a bit out of date, but maybe I don't know how to find the info.

thanks again,

Luke