You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Nested Mask and Adjustment

Using Affinity Photo desktop on Windows. I'm trying to wrap my head around using nested adjustments, particularly with masks. I understand that currently there needs to be a slight workaround to get adjustments to nest -- the "inner" adjustment needs to be made a child, before the "outer" adjustment gets placed as a child. I'm still not really getting the results I want though.

Yes I know reading this is really confusing, unless you already sort of know what I'm talking about. I'm including a sample image, as well as attaching an image.

Lets say I want to add an HSL adjustment to my main image. This is my "outer" adjustment.

I want to add a mask to that HSL adjustment, so I do that.

I also want to add a Levels adjustment to the mask, so that I can control some of the brightness / darkness of the mask without necessarily having to remake the mask. This is my "inner" adjustment.

I've figure out that the order of operations is that you need to add the Levels adjustment as a child to a mask, and then apply the mask to the HSL layer. What is not working for me is that even though I can get them nested, I'm not sure I'm doing it correctly, as the Levels layer doesn't seem to actually be doing anything to my Mask.

deer nesting demo.afphoto

deer.jpg

Edit: I just realized I was in the wrong forum if a mod could please move this to support, sorry!

I setup exactly as that screenshot but the result is not what I'm wanting. I want the HSL to effect the subject layer, as allowed by the mask, and I want the Levels adjustment to only affect the mask so that I can control how much of the HSL actually comes through. Any other ideas? Thanks for trying.

Why not mask the HSL by using the built in mask and then vary the opacity of the HSL layer? I am not 100% sure about this but I think we can't use levels or other adjustments on Masks.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

3 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

Why not mask the HSL by using the built in mask and then vary the opacity of the HSL layer? I am not 100% sure about this but I think we can't use levels or other adjustments on Masks.

Using a Levels adjustment would allow greater control over white point, black point, and gamma, as well as being able to do it on a more visual level than just using the opacity slider or Blend If options.

I think I understand, you wish to alter the mask which is an alpha channel. I also think we cannot use the Adjustments to modify the alpha channel in the mask, in the image/pixel layer yes but mask layer no.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• Make a pixel selection of the mask (CMD + Click Mask layer icon)
  • Go to the channel Panel and make a spare channel from the pixel selection
  • Select the levels adjustment layer
  • On the channel panel, right click the spare channel and load to levels adjustment layer
  • move the layers about (see image below) and edit the settings.

Screen-Shot-2019-12-13-at-22-07-27.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

4 hours ago, Pixel Atari said:

....... I want the HSL to effect the subject layer, as allowed by the mask, and I want the Levels adjustment to only affect the mask so that I can control how much of the HSL actually comes through. Any other ideas? Thanks for trying.

I think I follow.
In the video:
• HSL effects the image
• The mask limits the HSL (mask is a square star with simple black to nothing gradient.... so we can have something that the Levels can work with)
• Levels, set to Alpha, only effects the mask intensity.

35 minutes ago, JimmyJack said:

I think I follow.
In the video:
• HSL effects the image
• The mask limits the HSL (mask is a square star with simple black to nothing gradient.... so we can have something that the Levels can work with)
• Levels, set to Alpha, only effects the mask intensity.

YES! I know it's a really weird question and application, I just like figuring out tricks like this, never know what might come in handy.