You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

missing font in PDF import

sorry if I often refer to InDesign but I use this software for almost 20 years and I compare publisher compared to the functions that I had with InDesign ....
I have a font problem in a PDF file imported as an image. This PDF file displays correctly in InDesign but does not display correctly for some text in publisher. Apparently this is a missing font problem. See the 2 attached files.
Is there a bug or a solution is possible?
Thank you

Capture d’écran 2019-12-12 à 13.08.48.jpg

Capture d’écran 2019-12-12 à 13.08.57.jpg

Affinity apps don't support embedded fonts! :(

The only solution is to install the missing font.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

it's a very big problem!
especially since publisher doesn't warn us about missing fonts ....
I make catalogs in which advertisements are provided by communication agencies. So I'll have to check with the eye if the files are correct and ask them to redo their work by vectorizing the fonts (they will treat me incompetent ...) or I'll have to change all the files by importing them in illustrator ... with all the risks of errors that it entails !!
Will there be a quick fix for this problem?
Thank you

13 minutes ago, notabene34 said:

I'll have to change all the files by importing them in illustrator ...

Or get a copy of Serif's old ("legacy") PagePlus X9 which handled embedded fonts with no problem.

Much as I like Publisher, there were a number of much needed features in PagePlus which Serif still haven't managed to include in Affinity Publisher. :/

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

17 minutes ago, haakoo said:

This isn't true

Half true / half not true. You get warnings, when you open the PDF with Publisher. When you place the PDF, you get no warning unless you hit the button Edit Document. ;)

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

52 minutes ago, notabene34 said:

it's a very big problem!
Will there be a quick fix for this problem?

Yes, it is.

Likely not. We have no idea when pdf-passthrough will come.

If you are going to use APub, are receiving pdfs to place and do not wish to contact everyone to resubmit their pdfs with type as curves, either use Acrobat or pdfToolbox to convert type to curves or use an application that uses pdf-passthrough (i.e. ID, QXP, Viva Designer, etc.).

43 minutes ago, PaulEC said:

Or get a copy of Serif's old ("legacy") PagePlus X9 which handled embedded fonts with no problem.

Unfortunately, PP's pdf-passthrough was never around long enough to have the kinks worked out. In particular, pdf from Adobe applications often failed in one way or another. 

9 minutes ago, notabene34 said:

where is PDF option window please ?

You mean the Edit Document button? Click the placed PDF and you see the button at the top in the context tool bar.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

4 hours ago, notabene34 said:

This PDF file displays correctly in InDesign but does not display correctly for some text in publisher. Apparently this is a missing font problem

Users of other layout softwares have grown to trust that PDF is a safe box which can be placed anywhere and always the contents will be SAFE. That is not the case with Publisher. Even if you have the exact same font it may behave differently when PDF is interpreted within Publisher.

Until we have reliable PDF passthrough feature it is better to make PDFs with outlined fonts (text converted to curves), or convert PDFs to image files. Sure if you have the right fonts and/or are prepared to fiddle with PDF content go ahead and place PDFs... but mostly if you place customer ads to you publication they are supposed to look exactly as they were designed.

1 minute ago, Fixx said:

Users of other layout softwares have grown to trust that PDF is a safe box which can be placed anywhere and always the contents will be SAFE. That is not the case with Publisher. Even if you have the exact same font it may behave differently when PDF is interpreted within Publisher.

Until we have reliable PDF passthrough feature it is better to make PDFs with outlined fonts (text converted to curves), or convert PDFs to image files. Sure if you have the right fonts and/or are prepared to fiddle with PDF content go ahead and place PDFs... but mostly if you place customer ads to you publication they are supposed to look exactly as they were designed.

Yeah. +1 and all that to pdf-passthrough.

As regards the highlighted section, without pdf-passthrough I dont see how an average magazine or newsletter can be done in APub without a means to do type -> curves. I do a 48-page magazine. Not a highly ad-driven mag. But still, the number of ads used 96 additional fonts. I'm not going to deal with that nightmare without pdf-passthrough even though I have the means to convert type to curves.

It is a really needed function.

• 1 year later...
11 hours ago, snopeusz said:

As a partial solution you can use GhostScript. Nice if you want to extract some text elements as curves:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/28797418/replace-all-font-glyphs-in-a-pdf-by-converting-them-to-outline-shapes/28798374#28798374

You are posting on an old thread. The ghost script method is my preferred method and referred to on these forums 

On 1/11/2021 at 8:49 AM, Catshill said:

You are posting on an old thread. The ghost script method is my preferred method and referred to on these forums 

Yes, sorry. I was looking for a solution, and I Google send me here. I thought others may get here the same way. Could you link the thread you are referring to?

2 minutes ago, snopeusz said:

Yes, sorry. I was looking for a solution, and I Google send me here. I thought others may get here the same way. Could you link the thread you are referring to?

For your info, they do have PDF passthrough in the latest beta for Publisher I believe. This would not require converting to curves or anything like it to drop a PDF in Publisher and work with it as you would in Indesign. 

11 minutes ago, wonderings said:

For your info, they do have PDF passthrough in the latest beta for Publisher I believe. This would not require converting to curves or anything like it to drop a PDF in Publisher and work with it as you would in Indesign. 

There is passthrough in the latest betas, but it currently is LITERAL pass-through, meaning, that the PDF is pushed through "as is" when exporting -- the PDF does not adjust to your export settings (which makes it useless for me, but might work for others?). This passthrough is coming soon (Photo betas are coming to a close and Publisher is normally not far behind), but it is different from what you get in InDesign, Quark and many other DTP applications.

@Lagarto In this thread it is confirmed that the PDFs are not changed (unless I misunderstand Gabe's reply):
https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/129943-beta-874-pdf-file-size-issues/&do=findComment&comment=721158

I'm going to test PDF/X1, as mentioned by you tomorrow, but so far I have not been able to produce the files I need for my work from a Publisher document with linked and ,passed through' PDF adverts.

You are right in that better documentation would be nice, however, if it's not possible to force a certain colour profile and resolution, it won't be possible to quickly create print or web ready files as it is in other applications. I don't mind different features, workflows and behaviour if they are well thought through (which most of Affinitys features are by the way), but do need usable results in the end, preferably quickly and without much trying and experimenting.
When I set the export options to a certain resolution, colour space and profile and tick "convert colours" I need to be sure that everything is in fact converted according to these settings, independent of which other options or PDF standards are selected or which method was used to insert images and PDFs into the document. I'm fine with the standard setting being different (= keep original), but when I choose a setting I want the resulting export to fit.