You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Why isn’t the Export function part of the Export Persona?

The question is in the title really.
Or, to put it another way, is there a good reason why the Export function (the one in the File menu) is deliberately separate from the Export Persona?

This question has been floating around at the back of my mind since I recently answered a question about exporting specific pages from Publisher (which doesn’t have an Export Persona). The thought there was that, if Publisher had an Export Persona, the canvas in this Persona could be replaced by a ‘document overview’ where the user could visually select which pages they want to export, rather than typing numbers into a text field (numbers which probably would have to be written down first).

In more general cross-application terms, the ‘mode’ of the Export Persona could be switched between the current ‘layers and slices mode’ and a new ‘document mode’ by a button in the Context Toolbar (there’s plenty of space). The options in the current Export function could be, in the new ‘document mode’, where the options are in the current ‘layers and slices’ mode and it would all look similar, rather than having two different ways to export things.

It just seems a little bit strange to me that there’s an Export Persona that doesn’t include the ‘main’ Export function.
There’s probably a perfectly reasonable answer/reason; I’m just wondering is all.

P.S. Thinking about it a bit further, would the Print function also benefit from being an option within the Export Persona? In this case, the user could see a better print preview (maybe like the Pages Panel in Publisher), rather than the small thumbnail, and could more easily make sure that everything looked okay before printing. And there could be other benefits but I don’t use the Print function myself so I’m not the best person to say. Just a thought.

I'd agree that these should be available in the Export Persona, but I wouldn't be happy if they were only available there. I don't want to have to change to another persona every time I export a file (i.e. save it in a different file format).

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

1 hour ago, GarryP said:

Is there a specific reason why changing over to the Export Pe

rsona to export the document would be a problem?

For me, yes. Why should I have to click on a new Persona and then do something to export, when I can simply click File > Export. Often I don't care about making the workflow slower as much as other users do, but in this case I would object.

File > Export and the Export Persona are designed to perform different functions, and should remain separate.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

17 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

For me, yes. Why should I have to click on a new Persona and then do something to export, when I can simply click File > Export. Often I don't care about making the workflow slower as much as other users do, but in this case I would object.

File > Export and the Export Persona are designed to perform different functions, and should remain separate.

I couldn't agree more

How does clicking the Export Persona icon make for more work than clicking File and then clicking Export? Seems like less work and a faster workflow to me.

You say that the Export function performs a different function to the Export Persona but don’t say what the difference is. You only say that you think they should remain separate but don’t say why. My question was: “...is there a good reason why the Export function (the one in the File menu) is deliberately separate from the Export Persona?” I’ve not heard any actual reasons why they should be separate so far, just personal preferences based on usage so far.

I’m not trying to be deliberately awkward, I’m just asking if there are any good reasons why they should be separate. If there are any then that’s my question answered and that’s fine. But, people just saying that they, personally, are happier with it where it is doesn’t answer the question. They may, possibly, be much happier if it was moved and they got used to that instead.

5 minutes ago, GarryP said:

How does clicking the Export Persona icon make for more work than clicking File and then clicking Export?

Because you would need to click and enter the Export Persona and then click to export....it is an additional step in the workflow that is not needed for most cases, I have just tried a few things and I can export individual layers or slices directly from the Export Persona, the main export menu is also available. 

3 hours ago, GarryP said:

It just seems a little bit strange to me that there’s an Export Persona that doesn’t include the ‘main’ Export function.

If by "‘main’ Export function," you mean File > Export & the various functions/options available via that menu item (including selecting the Area for export, the "More" options, & so on), at least on Macs it & all its options are available from the File menu in the Export personas of both Designer & Photo. Also, since in those two apps this is in a separate persona, you can set either a 'global' or persona-specific keyboard shortcut to open that File menu item.

10 minutes ago, GarryP said:

My question was: “...is there a good reason why the Export function (the one in the File menu) is deliberately separate from the Export Persona?” I’ve not heard any actual reasons why they should be separate so far, just personal preferences based on usage so far.

The File > Export menu item provides quick, simplified access to 'one at a time' exports. The Export Persona provides much more than that, including exporting to multiple formats, multiple sizes, multiple slices, different folders, creation of export presets, & even continuous export. In effect if not in name, it is a powerful batch processing export mode.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

16 minutes ago, R C-R said:

The File > Export menu item provides quick, simplified access to 'one at a time' exports. The Export Persona provides much more than that, including exporting to multiple formats, multiple sizes, multiple slices, different folders, creation of export presets, & even continuous export. In effect if not in name, it is a powerful batch processing export mode.

File > Export also produces multi-page PDFs, which is not a capability of the Export Persona as far as I know. (This separation of function was made as part of the 1.6 release, I think. I know that users were surprised at the time because it was a change.)

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

5 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

File > Export also produces multi-page PDFs, which is not a capability of the Export Persona as far as I know.

AFAIK, in AD & AP the Export Persona File > Export menu option has exactly the same capabilities as the File > Export menu option in the Designer, Photo, or Publisher personas of each of the three apps, including exporting multi-page PDF's, so to that extent it is a capability of the Export personas.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

6 minutes ago, R C-R said:

AFAIK, in AD & AP the Export Persona File > Export menu option has exactly the same capabilities as the File > Export menu option in the Designer, Photo, or Publisher personas of each of the three apps, including exporting multi-page PDF's, so to that extent it is a capability of the Export personas.

Yes, but using File > Export isn't really using the functions of the Export Persona.

-- Walt
PC:

16 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Yes, but using File > Export isn't really using the functions of the Export Persona.

True, but was a multi-page PDF export function ever available in the Export Persona of an older version of AD or AP? I don't remember that ever being supported but my memory is a bit foggy about that.

Affinity Photo 

11 minutes ago, R C-R said:

True, but was a multi-page PDF export function ever available in the Export Persona of an older version of AD or AP? I don't remember that ever being supported but my memory is a bit foggy about that.

I'm not sure, either, as I started with 1.6, but I remember confusion at some change that made it necessary to use File > Export if you wanted multi-page PDF exports.

-- Walt
PC:

I've never used the export persona, apart from following a tutorial about the topic, but export files to either .jpeg or .png all the time. I use the Cmd+E short cut (default shortcut is a different one). Wouldn't want to see it differently, although adding the option to the Export Persona may be helpful for other people.

Affinity Photo - Affinity Designer - Affinity Publisher | macOS Sonoma (14.2) on 16GB MBP14 2021 with 2.4 versions