You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi! I'm trying miserably to create a textured  rainbow brush. I want the colors ROYGBIV to be stacked like a rainbow and not like stripes. Whe I do accomplish the rainbow effect, the brush always comes out chunky and straight. I've tried "new.....brush" and adding a garden to a brush strokes and placing a bitmap gradient on a bus stroke. Does anyone know how I could get a brush like stroke with a horizontal rainbow pattern? 

Screen Shot 2019-12-11 at 8.49.51 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-12-11 at 8.37.51 PM.png

1. Create a shape like a circle and colour it red
  2. Export as a PNG
  3. Create and image Brush and use the Red shape (circle)
  4. Open the Brushes settings panel and click on the Dynamics tab
  5. The Hue slider, move it to 100% and change it to Cyclic

Try it out, you should now have a brush that goes through rainbow colours.
Screen-Shot-2019-12-12-at-09-23-24.png

If you wanted softer edges you could always blur the circle or shape first and then export.

Actually it would be nice to have a blur option on the brushes panel, would make cool bokeh effects.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

I think jfae wants the colours to go along the curve, as shown in their “what I want” image.
However, looking to the right, at the top-left of their “what I got” image, they already seem to have done it, so I’m not exactly sure what they are asking for.

I think they might be alluding to the way the colours are flipped if you flip a drawn line.

Would also help to know which app they are using.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

2 hours ago, GarryP said:

However, looking to the right, at the top-left of their “what I got” image, they already seem to have done it, so I’m not exactly sure what they are asking for.

Same here. 

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

The brush settings should have not only a texture option but a colour/gradient overlay option, so apply a colour texture.