You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Creating an entire photo book inside a single document

A quick question here. Are there any plans on adding features for developing en entire photo book with different page dimensions in Affinity Publisher? I currently got some specifications from the printer, but I'm missing the following features necessary for creating such a photo book in a single document:

- The ability to set the bleed per page (or spread). The bleeds are quite far apart (19 mm for the cover and 3 mm for the inner pages)

- The ability to start a new set of spreads with the first spread starting at at the right side. Now the cover is going to take a spread with 2 facing pages (starting left), but the inner book starts at the right page (with other dimensions and bleed)

Currently the obvious workaround is to create separate Publisher files, which doesn't seem ideal. 

While having separate bleed setting for each page might be useful (though I would just make then separate files and combine PDFs if needed)

11 hours ago, Kleinendorst21 said:

The ability to start a new set of spreads with the first spread starting at at the right side. Now the cover is going to take a spread with 2 facing pages (starting left), but the inner book starts at the right page (with other dimensions and bleed)

I do not know how where this is needed. All pages have two sides, front and back. There is no such thing as single page without back unless you talk about electronic documents.

Publisher documents start with a page, not a facing pages pair.

1 hour ago, Fixx said:

This would only be relevant in case both the cover and inner book could be created in a single document. Here the PDF that needs to be uploaded for the inner book starts with a single page, after which all other pages are facing pages. This problem doesn't exist with multiple documents since there's already the possibility to start the document with a right facing page. 

3 hours ago, Fixx said:

Facing pages, horizontal, starting left?

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

Actually you can select starting either left or right, and yes, starting left you have a spread first. I think it is up to you to decide how to set your document. If you have a normal physical publication with some kind of spine – pages are bound together – you are bound to have left and right pages (sorry the pun...). 

Thus my take is that you can make a publication with necessary page amount and necessary page properties. What you cannot do is make a publication with missing pages within the file. Physically they must exist, even if they are empty.

1 hour ago, Fixx said:

Physically they must exist, even if they are empty.

This reminds me of the good old days of physical manuals in ring binders with the occasional page consisting only of some text stating "This page intentionally left blank".

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

1 minute ago, Old Bruce said:

This reminds me of the good old days of physical manuals in ring binders with the occasional page consisting only of some text stating "This page intentionally left blank".

Yeah, but for the tech manuals I use to create (though ours were perfect bound for the most part), they all had to begin a new chapter on a right facing page even when the preceding page was blank. So we also used that phrase. Why? because users would generate support calls asking if their manuals were misprinted if the phrase wasn't present.

On 12/11/2019 at 10:45 AM, Kleinendorst21 said:

Currently the obvious workaround is to create separate Publisher files, which doesn't seem ideal. 

As I helped get off-track in this thread, I might as well weigh in on the topic.

Even if you could set up as you think you want (or think the print establishment is wanting) and unless the cover is using the same paper (i.e., a saddle-stitched book using text paper for the cover or a ring-binder), you shouldn't do it. Case or perfect bound books require different dimensions altogether for the cover versus interior. 

Having worked in pre-press, if I received such a pdf to output and was busy, we would just reject the pdf and tell you to send two-separate pdfs. If for some reason we weren't busy and your design allowed it, we would break the cover out to a new pdf and adjust the size of it to meet requirements.

As APub cannot have various different page sizes and have those pages against each other (as in left, spine, right pages in ID), one should just make a separate file for the cover

2 hours ago, MikeW said:

Even if you could set up as you think you want (or think the print establishment is wanting) and unless the cover is using the same paper (i.e., a saddle-stitched book using text paper for the cover or a ring-binder), you shouldn't do it. Case or perfect bound books require different dimensions altogether for the cover versus interior. 

Having worked in pre-press, if I received such a pdf to output and was busy, we would just reject the pdf and tell you to send two-separate pdfs. If for some reason we weren't busy and your design allowed it, we would break the cover out to a new pdf and adjust the size of it to meet requirements.

As APub cannot have various different page sizes and have those pages against each other (as in left, spine, right pages in ID), one should just make a separate file for the cover

I will agree with the first two but the third is possible, with the caveat that I think the cover should be a separate document as it is a different size. Just because we can doesn't mean we should.

1580526835_ScreenShot2019-12-12at2_46_42PM.thumb.png.6fd20b5fe117a55facac3a8e55ed6561.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.