You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Surprising and unwanted cropping in Photo

dcrosby

Working in Photo I have a number of pixel images. I created a vector shape to use as a mask and dragged multiple images under its layer to non destructively crop the images. Works fine. I can move each pixel layer around in the mask to only show within the "window" created by the vector mask. The problem shows up when I selected multiple pixel layers within that mask and "merged selected." At that point the pixel layers cropped themselves to the boundaries of the vector mask which ruins my ability to reposition them within the mask. I'd like to merge them for simplicity but don't want them to get destructively cropped.

Did I miss something? 

After positioning the images as required, select them all and move them outside the masking shape then "merge selected" and drag the merged layer back under the vector shape.

If that's not what you want we will need some more information

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

6 hours ago, GarryP said:

What do you mean by “merged selected”?

It takes the content of multiple selected layers and merges them into one layer.

5 hours ago, carl123 said:

After positioning the images as required, select them all and move them outside the masking shape then "merge selected" and drag the merged layer back under the vector shape.

If that's not what you want we will need some more information

That is what I want and should work fine. It's kind of a workaround though in my opinion. If I hadn't needed to move the shape around right after the operation I would have lost data by accident. I'll have to pin a post-it note on my monitor so I don't forget. I wondered if there was a way to merge without cropping.

55 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi dcrosby,
This is bug i believe is already logged. I'm checking if that's the case and will fill a bug report if not.
Thanks for bringing this up.

Happy to hear it's not the preferred behavior. I'll keep the sticky until I hear otherwise and probably do the workaround for years after it's actually fixed, lol.