You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can't assign Camera Profile

In Develop in Photo, under Profiles, the camera profile in the current and prior versions is locked and blank.

When it was working, switching between Adobe RGB and sRGB made a huge difference for my Sony RAW files, which were shot as Adobe RGB. In the context menu area on the upper left, Photo was incorrectly reading them as sRGB (and still is).

The Develop persona is hard to use with this either bug or lack of information.

Thanks for reading,

Kearney

I have the same question. I have previously requesed information on this to no avail. Respectfully, will a moderator or someone who has an answer please respond. There is NO information in the Camera Profile dropdown. I have watched the just released Tutorials for AP several times and they clearly show items listed in this tab in the menu. I am on OSX 10.9.5 if that is of import.

Please advise.

mjazzphotoz

Well, I give up. I have been trying to get an answer to the profiles questions since using the betas. An online search will show questions regarding the profiles clear back to February with absolutely no acknowledgements or answers from serif. I find it sad that a company wanting to ursurp users from PS and other imaging products will spend 5 years persuing such a goal, launch the product and then fail to respond to clients regarding an issue  regarding the very files we are developing with that product. It is as though the question of profiles is the 800 lb gorilla in the room. Assuming the tutorials are accurate, there is obviously a bug for at least some users as the dropdown menu Camera Profiles does not provide any of the options shown in the softward tutorials. If some users have not had this issue, even that would have been nice to know so as to help determine in which direction the problem might lie.

Sadly, I have a studio to run, and I have already spent more time than I can spare on AP. I am very sorry about this as I did see some great potential or would not have persued the matter. I will consider the cost of purchse and the hours spent on the betas as an investment in the future and hope that the future will show that to be a worthwhile endevour. For now I will remain with CS6, LR6 and C1.

I wish you all well in your efforts.

• Staff

Hi all

My apologies. The camera profiles dropdown is currently disabled as we were unhappy with what we were doing in this regard. It is a priority to do something about this.

Can I ask what your expectations are, ICC profiles or dcp or both?

Justin

Justin,

Many thanks for your response. I think the first issue is that rather than being ignored, we should have been told the dropdown was disabled. This is not disclosed on the tutorials which shows it as now functioning and with all the inquires, this is the first advice of the issue and the question has been raised for some extended time.

I can only speak for myself as to expectations and I am a professional user, but I would expect something comparable to the ACR/LR/ C1 camera choices.  If not, at least a user friendly way of making our own usable profiles if it applies to our work flow. As was discussed on another well known forum earlier today, If AP is soley relying on Apple camera profiles, a very large work in progress is in store to try to create a PC version of the application. I was primarily a Canon user until 2 weeks ago at which point I made a switch to the Nikon system. This means for me, I have files, and will have files for some extended time that I must be able to process in a timely, accurate manner across camera platform for my clients. Profiles and the ability to create profiles to match each other are of paramount importance to me. Others use may very, but most if not all users are at some point tied to color profiles/camera profiles/ and calibration of their monitors all coming together to produce the desired digital or print file.

Thank you once again for your response.

I would like to see the popup have the default profile that you use, the same looks that are built into the cameras by the respective manufacturer and any profiles we make using a ColorChecker Passport. That is the way ACR/LR is set up.

Justin,

Again, I thank you for your response. I think serifl are on to something good, and that above all has made this so frustrating!  A little disclosure, even if not necessarily good news, is most often better than ignoring the problem!! In this day of the internet there is a strong expection of communication to be timely! I feel sure for the most part we all understand the pressures of a release of this magnitude!! Keep up the good work and please keep us posted!!

Hi all

My apologies. The camera profiles dropdown is currently disabled as we were unhappy with what we were doing in this regard. It is a priority to do something about this.

Can I ask what your expectations are, ICC profiles or dcp or both?

Justin

hi justin,  if possible  get .dcp support first there are a few easy to use tools available to build them  ( x rite, adobe, qpcard ) . with icc profiles  it is another story.  x rite dropped icc camera profile support so the only options are older profilemaker versions or command line tools. 

I recommend looking closely at Capture One Pro for guidance because its results are so good. 

Capture One has a base characteristics section, which has an icc profile that Phase One makes for each camera. That may be more than you can bite off.

But at least Photo could read whether the file was shot as sRGB or Adobe RGB. Next in this section you get a choice of curves to be applied to the RAW file: auto, film standard (punchy), film extra shadow, and linear (no curve applied).

Kearney

Hi Justin, 

I strongly believe that you should provide support for dcp profiles here, and NOT do what Adobe Camera Raw does, which is applying an automatic lightness correction, white balance and an S-shaped curve. 

Capture One has the problem that they use 2 profiles, the first one is like a dip profile, but the user has no control over it. As a secondary color transformation one can use an ICC profile which you can create yourself, but it is a bit tedious. The users would rather see and control only ONE color transformation.

Is there any way we can talk about this in more detail on the telephone?

Thanks, Francis

• 6 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Since I photograph with a IR-converted camera, this feature is necessary for me, since I have to adjust WB drastically on my Raw images during post-processing. I now do this with a .dcp file I specifically created for this purpose. When will this feature be available in Affinity?

Is there any other way to manipulate the WB to a drastical low value?

• Staff
23 minutes ago, Antonhartenberg said:

Since I photograph with a IR-converted camera, this feature is necessary for me, since I have to adjust WB drastically on my Raw images during post-processing. I now do this with a .dcp file I specifically created for this purpose. When will this feature be available in Affinity?

Is there any other way to manipulate the WB to a drastical low value?

Currently you can't do dramatic white balance adjustments using the slider in the Develop Persona—I've actually been using exiftool to help someone doing an infrared project as Photo will read the initial white balance even if it's extreme.

However, have you tried custom white balancing off foliage or a white card? I'd recommend doing this because otherwise you'll expose for the red channel at the expense of the other channels (meaning they'll be noisier when you finally balance the image in post). 720nm and higher you should definitely white balance as it will neutralise the red cast and prevent the blue/green channels from being underexposed. Lower than 720nm—well, you're introducing red false colour, but you should still white balance to ensure foliage and other sources that emit IR light are correctly balanced.

[Edit] Forgot to clarify—the whole point of me mentioning white balancing is that you wouldn't have to perform the drastic WB shift in post.

Product Expert (Affinity Photo) & Product Expert Team Leader

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more
Official Affinity Photo tutorials

3 minutes ago, James Ritson said:

However, have you tried custom white balancing off foliage or a white card? I'd recommend doing this ...

Thanks for your response. I'm not using Affinity yet, but am planning to download the evaluation version in the coming weeks to see if I'm able to replace Photoshop. In Adobe Camera Raw, using foliage as reference does not work, since the white balance is too extreme. Instead I had to create a custom .dcp file, to be used as default starting point.

Since I know from Camera Raw that this is tricky, a solution for this point is high on my list of requirements.

I will try this and let you know.

• Staff
1 hour ago, Antonhartenberg said:

Thanks for your response. I'm not using Affinity yet, but am planning to download the evaluation version in the coming weeks to see if I'm able to replace Photoshop. In Adobe Camera Raw, using foliage as reference does not work, since the white balance is too extreme. Instead I had to create a custom .dcp file, to be used as default starting point.

Since I know from Camera Raw that this is tricky, a solution for this point is high on my list of requirements.

I will try this and let you know.

Hi, sorry, I was referring to white balancing in-camera, not using the white balance dropper in post—this way, not only do you get a more balanced exposure across the three colour channels, but you also don't have to use workarounds to correct the white balance later on.

However, the good news is that I've just tried this—you can indeed use the white balance picker in Photo's Develop Persona to completely correct the colour cast. Here's a quick example that I deliberately shot with auto white balance using a 720nm filter:

445174671_ScreenShot2018-09-21at14_45_04.thumb.jpg.8886166a95bf09729a9ff62c1cdbb2d2.jpg646544967_ScreenShot2018-09-21at14_45_10.thumb.jpg.02be207035203f050e0914303a6d4d03.jpg

The image is dull as I don't apply the default tone curve when developing RAW files, but hopefully the above screenshots will make sense.

Product Expert (Affinity Photo) & Product Expert Team Leader

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more
Official Affinity Photo tutorials

• 2 weeks later...

James Ritson,

Thank you for the info. I did shoot some IR yesterday in Central Park in bright sunshine and was interested to see just how far I could process it with only Elements13.  I did perform a WB with a white card since that has been emphasized in the videos and literature I found while learning what I could about this business. At this point I have to figure out whether to jump into my Affinity program or to download Elements+ to open up the relevant Photoshop features such as the channel mixer. Oh well, this should be an interesting trip. If I create anything worthwhile I will post it and maybe we all can exchange notes.

Richard

I have done several tests with the Development of IR-photos from my modified Nikon D40. I'm still unable to reach the same effect as what I can achief with CameraRaw. For CameraRaw, I have created a custom Camera Profile (see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpHo1Fw23to).

The photo from the Affinity Develop persona still looks much duller and it is very hard to improve that. As an attachment I have added two versions, Photo _DSC9095PS.jpg  is the result of just aplying the standard camera profile and swapping the red and blue channels. Not further improvements.

Photo _DSC9095A.jpg is the result of my attempt to reach a similar result in Affinity.

So, I'm not very satisfied with the possibilities of the Develop Persona.

_DSC9095A.jpg

_DSC9095PS.jpg

• 3 years later...