You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

All UI Elements are too small on a 5k iMac

Another vote for scaleable icons. On my iMac (27") the icon size is OK but when I'm using my MBP (15") I end up rocking back and forth to get close enough to see. Maybe this is intended to help me deal with flabby abs but I'd prefer to choose my own exercise options. :)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi,
Same problem here with a 2560X1440 monitor on Windows 10 - 64 Bit.

UI, buttons, sliders, icons,  text etc...  are too small!!!  ;) 

Why not just change your system UI scaling in Windows. Affinity supports this scaling and will show lager UI.

Why not just change your system UI scaling in Windows. Affinity supports this scaling and will show lager UI.

Yes Your solution surely work!
But, UI scaling  -also advanced UI Scaling setting and custom size options, just influence everything, also O.S: and other apps, not only Affinity Photo UI.

Anyway mine was just a +1 to add to this thread.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a (non retina) 27" iMac and the text is too small to use easily. I'm 64. I could use it at a pinch but why bother with the neck and back problems squinting a lot close to the screen causes?

Yes I can just see it but I work at arms length from the screen and for this it is too small to use without discomfort. I have a 7 other image editing apps and can use them all without this problem. 

Until this is changed I'll carry on using Ps, Lr, Photmatix, DPP (what I actually use DPP! mad or what?) Aurora (small but not as small), Helicon Focus, PTGui Pro, Imageprint, nor do I have a problem with the MacOS, so really this is the only app I have text size issues with.

Point being , sure it may be usable by those with great eyesight etc but it is not the norm to expect the rest of us to be able to use it (without discomfort) so I understand there may be technical reasons why you're struggling to improve this area, but it does need improving

• 3 weeks later...

...Under File->User preferences-->Tab System there is a edit box called DPI. If you increase ore decrease that value all UI elements will get bigger or smaller and you can get it as big as you want.

I think the UI is based on vectors which it makes it very easy to scale any UI element without loosing quality.

Hi mr.burns,

I wonder if anyone knows what format Affinity UI icons are in?

Michael

------
AD 1.7.1, AP 1.7.1;Hhave ADW, Serif PagePlus X8 and X9 on an old PC
iMac Retina 5K, 27 inch, Late 2015, 3.2Ghz i5, 8GB 1867Mhz DDR3, AMD Radeon R9 M380 2GB; 1TB HDD, macOS Mojave 10.14.5

Wacom Intuos 5 Pro (wireless - without lagging).

Visit my site: TechniSmart (when I ever find time to work on it)

May one of the developers of Affinity can download Blender (it is OpenSource and available for Mac, Windows Linux) and take a look at their UI.

Under File->User preferences-->Tab System there is a edit box called DPI. If you increase ore decrease that value all UI elements will get bigger or smaller and you can get it as big as you want.

I think the UI is based on vectors which it makes it very easy to scale any UI element without loosing quality.

Hi mr.burns,

I wonder if anyone knows what format Affinity UI icons are in?

Michael

Affinity Designer 1.5.4 seems to use png and tiff.
 affinity_ui.png

• 4 months later...
Hi

Unfortunately with Win10 creator update It's not more possible change the menu text size, also for Affinity Photo and Affinity Design menu. 

The only way I know, is to set monitor at  more than 100%, for a better vision of O.s. icons and Affinity menù text, i.e. in 2560x1440 monitors, or more.

So hope a solution comes as soon as possible. 

Meantime, to change text size only, in Win10 os and Affinity apps menu I know, only two ways: 

-Edit Win regedit file,

-or using a tweaker App like Winaero or System size Font Changer.

...Unfortunately in some cases these app do not always work. 

Best regards!

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

I've increased the font size and it helps - a bit - but the change doesn't affect the tooltip fonts as far as I can see, which remain at the original size. Can you tell me how to increase the font size here? If it can't be done, looks like an oversight as there seems to be no reason to leave these at the original and hard to read size. Can you include it in the fix?

• 1 month later...

Would love to see support for the option for us to scale the ui.   Currently the ui in designer, mainly the text is too small.  I'm using Illustrator ATM and the difference in environments is literally giving me a headache.  I'm even getting sore eyes looking at the tiny text.

• 1 month later...

...and in this progress you can give us the undo / redo icons! Really! What a matter that AD have not this standard icons. (By the way: i use an Surface without a physical keyboard [strg] + [z|y] isnt an option, and i dont need and dont like the space waste protocol panel) :D

Please, and i know that this thread is about to small icons. ^_^

10 minutes ago, leuveg said:

i dont need and dont like the space waste protocol panel

You can float the History panel and keep it collapsed until you need it.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 3 months later...
On 12/30/2016 at 1:02 AM, Teo_ said:

May one of the developers of Affinity can download Blender (it is OpenSource and available for Mac, Windows Linux) and take a look at their UI.

Under File->User preferences-->Tab System there is a edit box called DPI. If you increase ore decrease that value all UI elements will get bigger or smaller and you can get it as big as you want.

Yes, we need the ability to increase the size of the fonts/UI  dynamically to suit our personal needs in AP and Blender offers a great solution.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/11/2018 at 9:22 PM, Gregory-CJ said:

Yes, we need the ability to increase the size of the fonts/UI  dynamically to suit our personal needs in AP and Blender offers a great solution.

Agree with you! 
The only ways to get a UI with larger and more readable fonts and icons, especially on monitors with resolutions greater than 1920x1080 is to adjust the size of text, apps, and all other items by selecting: Settings>Ease of Access>Display>Make text bigger to make only the text on your screen larger. Or, select an option from the drop-down menu under Make everything bigger to change the size of everything on your screen.
Basically the same tweaking is possible on Mac Os.
Also IMHO, still not enough. I hope in Seriff implement soon, a specific scaling UI function in AP and AD.
Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Gregory,

Well, good to know. Anyway totally agree with you, with 2K and 4K monitors the possible solutions are however limited and pretty ineffective and makes monitors with resolutions higher than 1920 x1080 useless, on both OS!

So, again, I agree with you and others users, "...we need a more flexible way to resize the font size / icons, soon!"

Regards

• 2 years later...
  • 5 months later...