You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Exported PDF has wrong title

daibhidh

Open an existing Affinity Publisher document and save it under a new name. Make content changes and save. Export the updated document as a PDF. Put the PDF online and open it with Chrome. Chrome shows the PDF title as the ORIGINAL Affinity Publisher document name.

This became an embarrassment when I uploaded a PDF exported from Publisher promoting a high school art exhibit. Opening the PDF in Chrome showed a title of "wonderfulwovens," the name of the original Publisher file from 2018. (The name of the current Publisher document is simply "flyers.afpub," and it was exported to PDF as "flyers.pdf.")

The PDF export should title the PDF the same as the export filename by default, and, ideally, have the option to specify a title.

I was able to edit the PDF title in a text editor. This should not be necessary.

The PDF Title is taken from the Title field in the Fields studio panel in Publisher (View > Studio > Fields).

If the title field is empty when you first save the .afpub file, Publisher will set the title to the file name. Once a title is set, Publisher will not change it again, but you can set it or change it anytime you want.

Others have mentioned this behavior, but I don't know if Serif has said it's a bug, or not.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I agree, but only when that original title was a filename set by Publisher. Once the user sets the title Publisher must leave it alone, in my opinion.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I don't believe Publisher should set a title, and I don't think any title should stay with a document through a "Save As..."

If a title is important to some, than it should be an option on the File->New and File->Save As dialogs, and there should be no problem leaving it blank. I don't see why anyone would want to retain a title through a "Save as..." I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who opens an earlier document as a shell for a new one.

I created a new document and saved it as "test.afpub." I then deleted the title "test" that Publisher had given the document (which previously would have been without my knowledge).

When I exported a PDF as "test.pdf" from the title-free document, the PDF's title was "test.pdf". When I exported as "test2.pdf," the PDF's title was "test2.pdf." This is expected behavior and would not cause the problem I experienced.

Obviously, a blank title is not a problem. A title that survives a "Save As" by default is.

• 1 month later...

I just ran into the same issue as daibhidh.
I used an existing file of a folder I made to create a new one with the same dimensions.

Only when I previewed it, I saw that the title was still the former client's name.
I checked every setting I could think of to change it, but without success.

Thankfully I found this post, I would NEVER have thought to look under "Fields", since I never changed anything there.
And it would have been a HUGE embarrasment to deliver it with the wrong title.

So in my optinion, this actually is a bug and it needs to be fixed. 
Hopefully it finds it's way into 1.8 whenever it will be out.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 12/11/2019 at 2:24 AM, walt.farrell said:

The PDF Title is taken from the Title field in the Fields studio panel in Publisher (View > Studio > Fields).

If the title field is empty when you first save the .afpub file, Publisher will set the title to the file name. Once a title is set, Publisher will not change it again, but you can set it or change it anytime you want.

Others have mentioned this behavior, but I don't know if Serif has said it's a bug, or not.

Thanks however I have the same issue in Affinity Designer and the "fields" under "studio" does not exist. Do you have a recommendation for Designer? The thing is that when I export as PDF, the PDF title on a browser is always different from the name of the file. 

• 11 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 12/11/2019 at 7:18 PM, daibhidh said:

I don't believe Publisher should set a title, and I don't think any title should stay with a document through a "Save As..."

If a title is important to some, than it should be an option on the File->New and File->Save As dialogs, and there should be no problem leaving it blank. I don't see why anyone would want to retain a title through a "Save as..." I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who opens an earlier document as a shell for a new one.

I created a new document and saved it as "test.afpub." I then deleted the title "test" that Publisher had given the document (which previously would have been without my knowledge).

When I exported a PDF as "test.pdf" from the title-free document, the PDF's title was "test.pdf". When I exported as "test2.pdf," the PDF's title was "test2.pdf." This is expected behavior and would not cause the problem I experienced.

Obviously, a blank title is not a problem. A title that survives a "Save As" by default is.

I agree, I spend hours trying to figure out why that old title stayed in my document, regardless if I "saved as" with a new one. In my case, it is a brochure that keeps getting price changes every year, so the only thing that needs to change is the year in the title.

I am glad I found a work around now, but I do believe that title should automatically change, when we save as with a new title.

• 2 years later...