You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Unnecessary OK button on Align dialog.

Hello,

The moment I press "z" on the keyboard to zoom the "undo" function occurs. As I was aligning the 2 squares and I pressed "z" to zoom in, the 2 squares went back to their original state. Please check the video in dashed yellow rectangle when this bug occurs. I don't know why square go back to their original positions the moment I press "z" to zoom in, Please help.

Thank you

14 minutes ago, Boroji said:

The moment I press "z" on the keyboard to zoom the "undo" function occurs. As I was aligning the 2 squares and I pressed "z" to zoom in, the 2 squares went back to their original state.

"Undo" is usually (and by default) defined as Ctrl+Z. You can check your current definition by clicking on the Edit menu and seeing what shows for Undo.

Possibly:

• You have defined yours as Z (without the Ctrl)?
  • You have accidentally pressed the Ctrl key while pressing Z?
  • Your keyboard Ctrl key is stuck?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Normally when you click the alignment button you get a dialogue box where you can select the alignment options.  After selecting the options you click OK to set them. 

If before clicking OK you press the Z key (or another shortcut key) your alignment changes are not set and will revert back - which looks like an undo command was performed.

What I can't figure out from your video is why you do not get the alignment dialogue box when you click on the alignment button.  Maybe it happens so fast I can't see it in your video. Either way, the above is what I think is happening.

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• Staff

I think carl123 is spot on here. Before continuing editing your document you need to accept the changes in the Alignment pop up, otherwise the alignment will be cancelled. Why that doesn't appear in your video is a little strange though - does it appear for you? It should look like the following:

Alignment.jpg

Hello,

I have created a bug tutorial explaining everything in detail.

The moment I press "z" to zoom "undo" function occurs. However, when I click on "Ok" in the alignment tab the "undo" function does not occur. But why do I have to click 2 times to confirm my alignment?

When I align something with an object, I do not need to confirm and press "ok" for it to accept my alignment change. when I press "z" it "undos" because I already did not press the "ok" button. Why do we need the "ok" button in the first place? 

I am currently working as UX designer for Statistics Canada and I use all Affinity Products when I work there. I am just showcasing how to improve a better user experince. This is a minor bug that is too detailed, but every detail matters. 

I had to spend time editing and explaining in the video because I care about the Affinity Product. I just want the Affinity to improve everyday ;)

1. I have not modified the shortcut.

2. I didn't press the ctrl by accident

3. the ctrl key is not stuck

Thank you

• Staff

Hi Boroji,

Thanks for the explanation. I can confirm that the current behaviour is by design and requires you to press OK to continue otherwise it will cancel your align operation. I'm going to move this thread into the Feature Requests and Suggestions forum!

4 hours ago, Sean P said:

and requires you to press OK to continue otherwise it will cancel your align operation.

Just for completeness:

1. Clicking on the Alignment icon will also confirm (OK) the operation.
  2. So will clicking anywhere outside the Alignment dialog.

But pressing a key that is also a shortcut key is treated as pressing Cancel.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1