PixelNik

place a Jpeg when text is selected

I just wound myself, why it is not possible to place a file other then txt when a  text is selected. (I want to place a jpeg behind the text). Unselected the text  and now I can place any supported file.

It is no problem for me now when I am aware of it, but is this a bug or intentionally solved that way?

q_plazieren.png

Nikon D7500 - Win 10 - Mac - Affinity Photo/Publisher (Betas if available)

You can but you have to "clip" it to the text

Add the JPG you want to use

Then on the layers panel drag it slightly under and in the text layer until a small vertical bar appears the let it go. If it isn't quite right you can grab the JPG layer and drag it around or resize it to suit you.

Check this tutorial

Affinity Designer 1.8.5 & beta 1.9.0.820   Affinity Photo 1.8.5 beta  1.9.0.820 Affinity Publisher 1.8.5 beta  1.9.0.822

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 2004

CPU Intel Core i7 4770 @ 3.40GHz Haswell 22nm Technology

RAM 32.0 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798 MHz (11-11-11-28)

Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. B85M-D3H (SOCKET 0)

Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4600 (Gigabyte)

yoda.png

Thank you for the answer. Yes I know how to handle it, But i wonder why it is not possible to place a file other than *.txt when a text-layer is selected.

Because the assumption with a text frame selected is that you want to put some text in it.

But as you're on Windows, you can do it. When the File Exlorer dialog comes up, type *.jpg into the filename box and press enter. That will reselect the list of files, and you can then select the one you want. Or if you know part of its name, just type the part you know before the *, e.g., abc*.jpg to filter the list that is displayed even further.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 2004 (19041.388),
   Desktop: 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz, GeForce GTX 970
   Laptop:  8GB memory, Intel Core i7-3625QM @ 2.30GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4000 or NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M
Affinity Photo 1.8.5.703 and 1.9.0.820 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.8.5.703 and 1.9.0.820 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.8.5.703 and 1.9.0.822 Beta.

Thank's a lot @walt.farrell Cool, this is a great explanation and very logical. I did not come to the idea typing the file extension to the filename-box.   

You're welcome, @PixelNik.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 2004 (19041.388),
   Desktop: 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz, GeForce GTX 970
   Laptop:  8GB memory, Intel Core i7-3625QM @ 2.30GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4000 or NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M
Affinity Photo 1.8.5.703 and 1.9.0.820 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.8.5.703 and 1.9.0.820 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.8.5.703 and 1.9.0.822 Beta.